Moderator: Metal Sludge

stocknsocks
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Dump Shithole

Post by stocknsocks »

vlad wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
vlad wrote:
The kids never knew his grandfather. And the ones that hunt already have their own rifles. So I don't think they'd "cherish" the guns. It might be time to end this cycle. Now, his current rifles, maybe, especially the H&H. But again, there are things he has that the kids might cherish more. His USMC stuff, especially for the kid in the Marines (4th generation). That has meaning and continuity. The guns are just guns to them. Bust them up and recycle the metal. :lol:
Hell no, sell them and let them be somebody else's problem. Plus, money. :mrgreen:
Isn't that just perpetuating the problem though? Honestly, there was a brief period (about the minute it took me to find out how much they cost) when I was thinking about getting him a Purdey bolt-action rifle. He had seen something about them somewhere and mentioned it, one of the few times he ever brought up guns casually. We were quite flush at the time, but not that
flush. :lol: But if I had bought that, I would sell it to someone. But just guns...nah. To me, that's about as exciting as a plunge router I have.
You'd be quite surprised how much some guns can be worth and generally you can tell the collectors from the folks that want to just buy a gun pretty quickly. Some guns are just crazy expensive and even some of the cheaper guns 10 years ago are worth 30% more now than then. But with all of the gun issues going on the market is in the tank so I might go trading for a nice rifle. Or save the money to build something nice.
Live like a legend, die like an asshole.
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

vlad wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
Edited to add this: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... a-shooting

This should be interesting...
Speaking of NRA whores.
Yeah, I just saw that and thought I'd post it because normally they stay quiet. They're almost as bad as AARP only with guns.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

stocknsocks wrote:
vlad wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
Hell no, sell them and let them be somebody else's problem. Plus, money. :mrgreen:
Isn't that just perpetuating the problem though? Honestly, there was a brief period (about the minute it took me to find out how much they cost) when I was thinking about getting him a Purdey bolt-action rifle. He had seen something about them somewhere and mentioned it, one of the few times he ever brought up guns casually. We were quite flush at the time, but not that
flush. :lol: But if I had bought that, I would sell it to someone. But just guns...nah. To me, that's about as exciting as a plunge router I have.
You'd be quite surprised how much some guns can be worth and generally you can tell the collectors from the folks that want to just buy a gun pretty quickly. Some guns are just crazy expensive and even some of the cheaper guns 10 years ago are worth 30% more now than then. But with all of the gun issues going on the market is in the tank so I might go trading for a nice rifle. Or save the money to build something nice.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No. But you'll pry my plunge router from my cold dead hands!
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

vlad wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
vlad wrote:

If I had a plunge router I'd be the same way! I have an old Sear's Craftsman (60's or 70's) that runs like a champ. I need to get my saw repaired because my dumb ass dropped it and it's a damn good saw. And the old Craftsman drill that refuses to die. I've drilled masonry with that thing and it's lasted longer than several drills.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

stocknsocks wrote:
vlad wrote:
stocknsocks wrote: You'd be quite surprised how much some guns can be worth and generally you can tell the collectors from the folks that want to just buy a gun pretty quickly. Some guns are just crazy expensive and even some of the cheaper guns 10 years ago are worth 30% more now than then. But with all of the gun issues going on the market is in the tank so I might go trading for a nice rifle. Or save the money to build something nice.

If I had a plunge router I'd be the same way! I have an old Sear's Craftsman (60's or 70's) that runs like a champ. I need to get my saw repaired because my dumb ass dropped it and it's a damn good saw. And the old Craftsman drill that refuses to die. I've drilled masonry with that thing and it's lasted longer than several drills.
A friend passed away about 10 years ago and I inherited a older right-angle power drill. Makita I think, it's that color anyway. My husband rolled his eyes, but he wound up taking it to the boat and I've never seen it again. (I've threatened to paint all my tools pink, but it wouldn't work, they still seem to wind up down there). It's perfect for a lot of the meganooks and hypercrannies that make up a boat. He mentions it more than guns, that's for sure. And I remind him that he briefly mocked me when I got it. :lol:

Anyway...let's not be letting the NRA and their bought minions off the hook. Gee at the rate BLOTUS is going, (finally throwing the bump stock ban" bone to the pissed off little high school kids, not the LV victims)..nah who am I kidding. This is the guy who wanted to lift African trophies being banned in the US, at his sons' behest I am sure, they would get to bring back their dead giraffes and elephants or whatever...until he had to back down because enough people pushed back.
LJP 2002-2014

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

GOP lawmaker's aide fired over offensive claims on Florida shooting survivors
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/0 ... /23367696/

A Florida state representative's aide was fired from his position on Tuesday after he sent an email to a reporter alleging that two outspoken survivors of the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School were "actors."

Benjamin Kelly, an aide to State Rep. Shawn Harrison, R-Tampa, was fired after emailing the Tampa Bay Times' Washington bureau chief Alex Leary to say that David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez, two students who have been extremely vocal about gun laws following the attack, were paid crisis actors.

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
Pierce Foreskin
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Pierce Foreskin »

Love this new narrative that the WH and Trump is pushing that it was the black guy who didn't do anything to stop the Russian meddling in our election.
And wants Jeff Session (sic) to explain it.
He should also ask Mitch McConnell who told Obama he would roll around and cry like a bitch about the sanctity of a fair election if the WH attempted to go public with the evidence of meddling during the election cycle.
You just have to love a guy decrying "politics" while balls deep in "politics"
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

Pierce Foreskin wrote:Love this new narrative that the WH and Trump is pushing that it was the black guy who didn't do anything to stop the Russian meddling in our election.
He should also ask Mitch McConnell who told Obama he would roll around and cry like a bitch about the sanctity of a fair election if the WH attempted to go public with the evidence of meddling during the election cycle.
He really is a whiny little bitch.
LJP 2002-2014

stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

vlad wrote:A friend passed away about 10 years ago and I inherited a older right-angle power drill. Makita I think, it's that color anyway. My husband rolled his eyes, but he wound up taking it to the boat and I've never seen it again. (I've threatened to paint all my tools pink, but it wouldn't work, they still seem to wind up down there). It's perfect for a lot of the meganooks and hypercrannies that make up a boat. He mentions it more than guns, that's for sure. And I remind him that he briefly mocked me when I got it. :lol:

Anyway...let's not be letting the NRA and their bought minions off the hook. Gee at the rate BLOTUS is going, (finally throwing the bump stock ban" bone to the pissed off little high school kids, not the LV victims)..nah who am I kidding. This is the guy who wanted to lift African trophies being banned in the US, at his sons' behest I am sure, they would get to bring back their dead giraffes and elephants or whatever...until he had to back down because enough people pushed back.
A good tool is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Better batteries have made some tools better but sometimes a good plug in electrical tool works better than anything. I have had a few female friends say the Hitachi Wonder Wand that's battery powered just isn't as good as the original.

Drumpf is now in a twitter spat with a woman who accused him of sexual harassment: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... harassment
The Supreme Court narrowed protection for whistleblowers: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/fe ... rotections
Florida students confront lawmakers on gun control as thousands walk out: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... s-walk-out

I love the Guardian website.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

vlad wrote:
Pierce Foreskin wrote:Love this new narrative that the WH and Trump is pushing that it was the black guy who didn't do anything to stop the Russian meddling in our election.
He keeps doubling back on his own claims with these comments. Is there no way to trap him or Huckabee Sanders in their own admissions?

He's basically saying there *was* Russian meddling and he either did know about it or at the very least most certainly does now. And people are obviously now going to want to know where Russia's sanctions are. He's trying to navigate a tricky balance between saying "No collusion," "No Russian interference," and "Yes, Russia meddled and Obama didn't do anything about it." Once you cop to the validity of Russian meddling, as a president, how do you get away with not calling for an investigation or even calling the very legitimacy of your presidency into question? How do you manage to get away with not bringing this back to yourself and your own responsibilities in addressing that situation?

Most importantly, if government won't act on this, how does someone make sure that the 68% non-Trumpers out there understand fully what he's admitted here?
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

TenBenny wrote:
vlad wrote:
He keeps doubling back on his own claims with these comments. Is there no way to trap him or Huckabee Sanders in their own admissions?

He's basically saying there *was* Russian meddling and he either did know about it or at the very least most certainly does now. And people are obviously now going to want to know where Russia's sanctions are. He's trying to navigate a tricky balance between saying "No collusion," "No Russian interference," and "Yes, Russia meddled and Obama didn't do anything about it." Once you cop to the validity of Russian meddling, as a president, how do you get away with not calling for an investigation or even calling the very legitimacy of your presidency into question? How do you manage to get away with not bringing this back to yourself and your own responsibilities in addressing that situation?

Most importantly, if government won't act on this, how does someone make sure that the 68% non-Trumpers out there understand fully what he's admitted here?

What keeps me up at night, is wondering where Trump goes after his 1 Term, if that, in the Oval Office?
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

milk-milk-lemonade wrote: What keeps me up at night, is wondering where Trump goes after his 1 Term, if that, in the Oval Office?
I think Trump retreats to private life, remains a public joke and a controversial figure despite trying to maintain his celebrity, and dies an American villain and cautionary tale. Same as Nixon. I think the Nixon/Trump comparisons are going to be on the nose well into the future (well, okay, Nixon was probably more private than Trump is likely going to be, but otherwise...).
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

TenBenny wrote:
milk-milk-lemonade wrote: What keeps me up at night, is wondering where Trump goes after his 1 Term, if that, in the Oval Office?
I think Trump retreats to private life, remains a public joke and a controversial figure despite trying to maintain his celebrity, and dies an American villain and cautionary tale. Same as Nixon. I think the Nixon/Trump comparisons are going to be on the nose well into the future (well, okay, Nixon was probably more private than Trump is likely going to be, but otherwise...).

He better not double-down on the WOD!
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

TenBenny wrote:
I'm amazed he's lasted this long because he wasn't in the best of shape when he got elected and being president ages you quickly. It doesn't keep me up because I try not to think about it. If I did, I'd eat a bullet.

I think Drumpf is worse than Nixon and has less of an attention span. His handlers (what is he a circus bear?) are keeping a lot of this insanity internal but ever time he tweets he shoots himself and his "team" in the foot. They are being reactionary and always on the defensive because again, every time Mad Libs tweets, he undoes everything they may or may not have accomplished that day or even that month. I'm amazed that Tillerson is still there and he seems to be the only one who can get away with calling El Presidente a fucking idiot. But Drumpf is also like the magician: you only see what one hand is doing. Pence may be in Korea but you know he's running his own agenda which isn't a good thing. I'd compare Pence to Johnson but Johnson at least cared about something. Sure it was his dick, but at least, despite the ongoing Vietnam debacle, he managed to do SOME good.

Sure, Drumpf scares me since he's a completely vain, narcissistic, petty, and vile human being. But Pence is the one that makes me nervous. Pence is hardcore right-wing (not alt-right) Republican to the core. But who's going to be Kissinger in this dumpster fire? Or as John Oliver calls it: Stupid Watergate.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

stocknsocks wrote:
TenBenny wrote:
I'm amazed he's lasted this long because he wasn't in the best of shape when he got elected and being president ages you quickly. It doesn't keep me up because I try not to think about it. If I did, I'd eat a bullet.

I think Drumpf is worse than Nixon and has less of an attention span. His handlers (what is he a circus bear?) are keeping a lot of this insanity internal but ever time he tweets he shoots himself and his "team" in the foot. They are being reactionary and always on the defensive because again, every time Mad Libs tweets, he undoes everything they may or may not have accomplished that day or even that month. I'm amazed that Tillerson is still there and he seems to be the only one who can get away with calling El Presidente a fucking idiot. But Drumpf is also like the magician: you only see what one hand is doing. Pence may be in Korea but you know he's running his own agenda which isn't a good thing. I'd compare Pence to Johnson but Johnson at least cared about something. Sure it was his dick, but at least, despite the ongoing Vietnam debacle, he managed to do SOME good.

Sure, Drumpf scares me since he's a completely vain, narcissistic, petty, and vile human being. But Pence is the one that makes me nervous. Pence is hardcore right-wing (not alt-right) Republican to the core. But who's going to be Kissinger in this dumpster fire? Or as John Oliver calls it: Stupid Watergate.
Nixon was a real politician in the sense that he at least had a firm understanding of politics. His political downfall led to every subsequent move being reactionary, and it then became less about politics and more about protecting a politician. Trump is in the same boat, only he was nothing but reactionary from day one because he doesn't know how to do this job. A leader is labeled as such because he or she leads. He or she is out front and not just waiting to react all the time. Trump is never doing anything that leads. He's always playing catch-up, particularly because he's not initiating any real policy. And therefore he's not a true leader.
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

TenBenny wrote:Nixon was a real politician in the sense that he at least had a firm understanding of politics. His political downfall led to every subsequent move being reactionary, and it then became less about politics and more about protecting a politician. Trump is in the same boat, only he was nothing but reactionary from day one because he doesn't know how to do this job. A leader is labeled as such because he or she leads. He or she is out front and not just waiting to react all the time. Trump is never doing anything that leads. He's always playing catch-up, particularly because he's not initiating any real policy. And therefore he's not a true leader.
Basically Drumpf is tripping over his own feet with every word he types with his little thumbs and every word that comes out of that sewer like mouth. Nixon was on all sorts of pharmaceuticals and was an alcoholic and tried to nuke NoKo one time. Nixon was also drunk so much Kissinger was damn near running everything and if you add in all the other cuckoo for cocoa puffs shit going on in whatever state of reality Nixon was in, Watergate was just one of those inevitable things.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

stocknsocks wrote:
TenBenny wrote:Nixon was a real politician in the sense that he at least had a firm understanding of politics. His political downfall led to every subsequent move being reactionary, and it then became less about politics and more about protecting a politician. Trump is in the same boat, only he was nothing but reactionary from day one because he doesn't know how to do this job. A leader is labeled as such because he or she leads. He or she is out front and not just waiting to react all the time. Trump is never doing anything that leads. He's always playing catch-up, particularly because he's not initiating any real policy. And therefore he's not a true leader.
Basically Drumpf is tripping over his own feet with every word he types with his little thumbs and every word that comes out of that sewer like mouth. Nixon was on all sorts of pharmaceuticals and was an alcoholic and tried to nuke NoKo one time. Nixon was also drunk so much Kissinger was damn near running everything and if you add in all the other cuckoo for cocoa puffs shit going on in whatever state of reality Nixon was in, Watergate was just one of those inevitable things.
I think the bottom line with this presidency as it persists is that Trump's job exists by the good graces of the Republicans around him. If they decide to no longer support him at any point and for whatever reason, he's done. If they really feel the heat on their asses, they'll turn on him. If it's them or him, they'll feed him to the wolves. He feels protected and emboldened, but I don't think Trump realizes just how vulnerable he is. He got his wall I guess, but it has nothing to do with Mexico.
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

TenBenny wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
I think the bottom line with this presidency as it persists is that Trump's job exists by the good graces of the Republicans around him. If they decide to no longer support him at any point and for whatever reason, he's done. If they really feel the heat on their asses, they'll turn on him. If it's them or him, they'll feed him to the wolves. He feels protected and emboldened, but I don't think Trump realizes just how vulnerable he is. He got his wall I guess, but it has nothing to do with Mexico.
This has been tried time and time again and his base rallies to his call every time. So long as the brainwashed masses that are his supporters continue to listen to yellow Mussolini, the Republicans have absolutely no recourse and they know it. Without the Dems who won't back down and the few Repubs that seem to have crossed the lines more than once, things would be, to me at least, far darker. Does he really have a wall? If he funneled that cash into something worthwhile like infrastructure, he might win some people over. But as it stands, all he's done is create chaos, much Sturm und Drang, and little else.

When Ted fucking Cruz is coming out against you, you might have a problem.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Donald Trump Jr.: No One Ever Mentions All the Sacrifices We’ve Made
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/02 ... sacrifices

If there’s one person who knows the meaning of sacrifice it is Donald Trump, the guy who was forced to abandon his gold-encrusted penthouse and his flourishing TV career in order to embark on the four-year inconvenience that is serving as America’s president. “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard,” Trump said in July after gold-star father Khizr Khan accused him of slacking off, adding that he had created “thousands and thousands of jobs” and that “I think those are sacrifices, I think when I can employ thousands and thousands of people, take care of their education, take care of so many things.”

When he chose to move into the White House, Trump was forced to give up a life he “loved”—one in which he had “so many things going.” And now, it seems his oldest son is feeling the pinch as well. On Tuesday, Donald Trump Jr. told an Indian television station that narratives about the Trump family profiting off the presidency are totally misguided, because they ignore the brutal sacrifices the family has made in order to serve the country. When the haters talk about the Trump Organization “profiteering from the presidency and all this nonsense,” he explained, they fail to mention “the opportunity cost of the deals that we were not able to do.” That, Donny said, is “sort of a shame. Because we put on all these impositions on ourselves and essentially got no credit for actually doing that . . . for doing the right thing.”

The question arose thanks to Don’s India trip, which was ostensibly arranged so he could shill condos on his family’s behalf. Although the Trump brothers, who took over day-to-day management of the Trump Organization after daddy got elected, promised not to initiate any new international deals during their father’s presidency, they reserved the right to promote projects that were already in the works prior to November 8, 2016. That means that, in Donny’s mind, there’s absolutely no ethical issue whatsoever with him crisscrossing India to pitch million-dollar condos to people who might see the purchase as an easy way to lobby someone close to the president. (To make things even easier, home buyers who pony up a $38,000 “booking fee” get to join Trump for “a conversation and dinner,” according to ads promoting his visit.)

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:Image
He needs to learn his homegirl Sarah's way to remember things..

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

During the session, someone asked Trump, "What if was YOUR kids?"

Trump's kids have bodyguards and rhino guns.

TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

The shirt sleeve thing is weird. Can he not remember that he's the 45th president or something?

Also, while looking at the photo of him flanked by the kids, I realized, on a totally irrelevant note, how sick I am of those fucking stupid big, overcompensating ties. Is it any surprise that a guy with ties that enormous thinks, "More guns, fuck yeah!"?
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

TenBenny wrote:
The shirt sleeve thing is weird. Can he not remember that he's the 45th president or something?

Also, while looking at the photo of him flanked by the kids, I realized, on a totally irrelevant note, how sick I am of those fucking stupid big, overcompensating ties. Is it any surprise that a guy with ties that enormous thinks, "More guns, fuck yeah!"?
It might just be a monogram he wanted on all of his shirt cuffs so he feels more legit. I’ve never looked at his ties since I’m amazed the chinchilla he has on his head hasn’t moved.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

TenBenny wrote:
His staff had all his shirts stamped "45" after he got royally pissed off on Presidents Day. He thought he was supposed to get a cake and presents. He plans to sell the shirts on Ebay.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

stocknsocks wrote:
TenBenny wrote: The shirt sleeve thing is weird. Can he not remember that he's the 45th president or something?

It might just be a monogram he wanted on all of his shirt cuffs so he feels more legit. I’ve never looked at his ties since I’m amazed the chinchilla he has on his head hasn’t moved.
Same reason I have my initials on my shirts. I have a set of bespoke dress shirts and a few button-ups, and they all have my initials either on the pocket or cuff. It's just a bit of personalization. Why not? The shirt was tailored for me personally, so why not have it say so? I hate the motherfucker, but he IS in one of the most select and prestigious positions available to a human being on this planet. If I made it to the absolute highest position one can attain in the US government, you're damn right I'd flaunt it.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

Turner Coates wrote:
TenBenny wrote:
His staff had all his shirts stamped "45" after he got royally pissed off on Presidents Day. He thought he was supposed to get a cake and presents. He plans to sell the shirts on Ebay.
Ha! Good point. Someone should check his official website to see if these shirts are for sale. Seriously. They're probably listed next to the MAGA, POTUS and FLOTUS hats.
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

Mojo wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:
TenBenny wrote: The shirt sleeve thing is weird. Can he not remember that he's the 45th president or something?

Same reason I have my initials on my shirts. I have a set of bespoke dress shirts and a few button-ups, and they all have my initials either on the pocket or cuff. It's just a bit of personalization. Why not? The shirt was tailored for me personally, so why not have it say so? I hate the motherfucker, but he IS in one of the most select and prestigious positions available to a human being on this planet. If I made it to the absolute highest position one can attain in the US government, you're damn right I'd flaunt it.
It just comes across as petty and vain with him but everything about him speaks volumes about him being cheap and tacky. Like when they put up facades to hide above ground trains for the London Underground during the Victorian age. If I had bespoke clothing I’m not sure I’d wear any of it and I would think of all the things I could have paid off!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

stocknsocks wrote:If I had bespoke clothing I’m not sure I’d wear any of it and I would think of all the things I could have paid off!
Lucky for Trump that he doesn't have that problem. When he's in debt, he just files bankruptcy or straight up abandons the project. I'm sure that's what all great business men do.
As for the facades for the underground, I think they're pretty clever bits of engineering. I looked out for them in London and there are some places where the fake wall really does have to be pointed out to you. In areas like Westminster, I get why people didn't want a big gaping train track running through their neighborhoods and they covered it up well.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

Mojo wrote:
stocknsocks wrote:If I had bespoke clothing I’m not sure I’d wear any of it and I would think of all the things I could have paid off!
Lucky for Trump that he doesn't have that problem. When he's in debt, he just files bankruptcy or straight up abandons the project. I'm sure that's what all great business men do.
As for the facades for the underground, I think they're pretty clever bits of engineering. I looked out for them in London and there are some places where the fake wall really does have to be pointed out to you. In areas like Westminster, I get why people didn't want a big gaping train track running through their neighborhoods and they covered it up well.
I can’t remember what I was watching, most likely another PBS show (I watch more PBS now than I did as a kid) that talked about them showed the facades. I thought it was an elegant solution to an interesting problem.
I don’t think the tycoons of old ever would have thought of bankruptcy. Hell, Morgan bailed out the US government back in the day in order to keep the gold standard, and his fortune, from crashing. But the Carnagie’s, the Rockefeller’s, and even the Morgan’s made their money (Morgan did inherit a bit) by working hard and being smart enough to know what the market needed and bought out everybody in order to corner every market.