The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by Aerosmith87 »

One of my favorite part of the playoffs is hearing Doc Emrick call a bunch of games. Happy I was able to grow up listening to him every game before he went off to NBC!
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Vegas one win from the finals! 8)
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

pieceofme wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:04 pm Vegas one win from the finals! 8)

What does this say about the NHL as a whole?
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
ratt_gang_member
Headlining Clubs

Post by ratt_gang_member »

So sad it's over for my Jets. I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the game today...

Good luck to the two teams that will remain.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:47 pm

It says it's eons ahead of the NBA, in terms of being a team game. In the other sports (read: NBA) the team with the biggest star wins 99% of the time.

Vegas took a smart approach to building a team in 2018, hired a brilliant coach/GM/scouts, and are reaping the benefits.

I have never seen a team with a faster/better transition game, from defence to offence.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Bolts/Caps going to game 7. This is turning out to be a crazy series right now!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Caps beat Bolts in 7 to advance! Crazy!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Vegas vs. Caps!

A new team for the cup this year. Great not seeing Pittsburgh/LA/Chicago in the final.

Would be nice to see Ovi win a cup, but I've been team Vegas all the way! Go GG! Go Marchessault! So Smith!

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Either team winning will make for a good story.

I'm routing for Ovi, but somehow can't see Vegas not finishing the job.

Disney-esque ending... Vegas in 7. They win it at home and the party rages for days!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Really good series so far.

If Orpik is going to score, you're probably going to win that game.

dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Caps one win away from the cup! I have a feeling they'll take it easily here. Vegas had a nice run for an inaugural season, but I think it'll take a miracle for them to come back now.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

dmbrocker wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm Caps one win away from the cup! I have a feeling they'll take it easily here. Vegas had a nice run for an inaugural season, but I think it'll take a miracle for them to come back now.
I don't think Vegas will come back. Ovie and crew are determined to end their curse, BUT if Vegas can win at home tonight there will be lots of pressure on the Caps Sunday in their barn.
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Told ya! CAPS, BABY!!! Now to see if the Warriors can complete the sweep over Lebron's boys!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 pm mcfee making out like a bandit so far.
that vegas team isn't gonna suck
a toe to sew
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

WOLF wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:55 am

It says it's eons ahead of the NBA, in terms of being a team game. In the other sports (read: NBA) the team with the biggest star wins 99% of the time.

Vegas took a smart approach to building a team in 2018, hired a brilliant coach/GM/scouts, and are reaping the benefits.

I have never seen a team with a faster/better transition game, from defence to offence.
I don't claim to be a hockey expert......but....

There are too many teams, too many mediocre players and many of the best players now play in KHL.

Early to mid 90s NHL was the best. Back then you knew for sure that all the best players in the world played in the NHL.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

FullDJacket wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 am

There are too many teams, too many mediocre players and many of the best players now play in KHL.

Early to mid 90s NHL was the best. Back then you knew for sure that all the best players in the world played in the NHL.
You're definitely not an expert. The KHL is MAYBE on a par with the AHL. Guys who couldn't make the NHL are regularly in their top 20 scorers. The few big names they have are older guys who went back to Russia, or had contract disputes in the NHL.

The early 90's was an OK era for hockey, but nothing like the freewheeling 80's, or even today when speed/skill is at an all time high.

In terms of # of teams, it does water down the game a little, but it's the same in MLB, NFL, and NBA. What's great is there are actually guys who can skate on the 4th line, as opposed to goons whom play 3 minutes per night.

Besides all that you're 100% right!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

WOLF wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 am

You're definitely not an expert. The KHL is MAYBE on a par with the AHL. Guys who couldn't make the NHL are regularly in their top 20 scorers. The few big names they have are older guys who went back to Russia, or had contract disputes in the NHL.

The early 90's was an OK era for hockey, but nothing like the freewheeling 80's, or even today when speed/skill is at an all time high.

In terms of # of teams, it does water down the game a little, but it's the same in MLB, NFL, and NBA. What's great is there are actually guys who can skate on the 4th line, as opposed to goons whom play 3 minutes per night.

Besides all that you're 100% right!
The fact of the matter is that many teams in the KHL now have the resources to keep players from going to the NHL.

I talked to a hockey player a couple of years ago and he told me hockey players make more money playing in Europe than playing in the AHL. The only reason why players stay in AHL is because they hope to get picked up by an NHL team (or family reason etc). I would be shocked if an AHL team beat a KHL team. Maybe in small rink but I don't think so.

I didn't watch hockey in the 80s but the point is that once the cold war ended and all the great players came over that was the one point in time when the league was at all time high as far as competitiveness and stars.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Apparently Stan Mikita died two days ago...RIP. Hope you're enjoying some donuts Wayne's World-style in the afterlife:

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=nhl&id=24312970

And speaking of Wayne's World, here's Mike Myers' tribute to Mikita:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 931137002/
Blizzard of Cos
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Blizzard of Cos »

He's grown it out some, sweet. It'll be nice to see all those Nike shirts around this fall.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Blizzard of Cos wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:53 pm He's grown it out some, sweet. It'll be nice to see all those Nike shirts around this fall.

Um, what?

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Karlsson traded to San Jose!

The return is not great. Ottawa a complete mess at the moment.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 pm Karlsson traded to San Jose!

The return is not great. Ottawa a complete mess at the moment.
Return not great, but at least it's something, which is more than what the Islanders got for Tavares.

Lesson: if you can't sign your impending UFA shortly after July 1, TRADE HIM.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

they're getting 8 players out of it aren't they? they aren't big names and some picks are conditional because he's still a free agent at the end of the season with no promise to sign with the sharks. why would he? see what the market is.
and what happens to burns now? you can't be paying 2 D that play that roll.
cue the toronto tards claiming it's a no brainer to trade him there
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Alright who do you kids got winning the cup this year? I know it's extremely tough to predict, but it could be fun to look back. I'd imagine it'd be a mix between San Jose & Tampa. I'll give it to Tampa even though I'm pissed at those penis pokers from their series vs the Devils.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Panthers going all the way!

I'm actually thinking Pittsburgh might win it again. :x

fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

It's going to be the Maple Leafs this year. They have a wild lineup. Khadri, Marner, Marleau, Matthews, Tavares...….wow. Tavares is going to pull the chemistry together on this team and they'll be pretty formidable. Room for improvement on defense but I think they'll make some big moves to acquire defensemen if it looks like they're needing it.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

fret123 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 am It's going to be the Maple Leafs this year. They have a wild lineup. Khadri, Marner, Marleau, Matthews, Tavares...….wow. Tavares is going to pull the chemistry together on this team and they'll be pretty formidable. Room for improvement on defense but I think they'll make some big moves to acquire defensemen if it looks like they're needing it.
Their defense is putrid. They should trade Nylander for a good defenseman.

fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

pieceofme wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 pm
fret123 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 am It's going to be the Maple Leafs this year. They have a wild lineup. Khadri, Marner, Marleau, Matthews, Tavares...….wow. Tavares is going to pull the chemistry together on this team and they'll be pretty formidable. Room for improvement on defense but I think they'll make some big moves to acquire defensemen if it looks like they're needing it.
Their defense is putrid. They should trade Nylander for a good defenseman.
It used to be putrid, but it was pretty decent last year and I think will be again this year. But like I said, Toronto will make big moves if needed. Those guys are sure lighting it up on offense though, Tavares is a great spark. It's early obviously, but off to a great start.
ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Post by ShearMagic »

Patrik Laine scored his 100th and 101st goal against the Blackhawks. Now let's see if the Jets are going to trade him like they did with Selanne in the nineties which led to the original Jets to their downfall.