What's your favourite brand of Beer?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: What's your favourite brand of Beer?

Post by aznsquirt »

DiamondDog wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:35 am Also, while I have a beer guy here, can you tell me if "hop sensitivity" is a thing? Honest to shit, I can drink wine all night, or several "normal" beers, but if I have an IPA, it's gotta be just one. Even two will fuck me up - not just drunk, but shitty, restless sleep and the most monumental of hangovers.
Well, you can absolutely 100% be allergic to hops, which is what this sounds like to me. What suck is if that's what it is, you're probably having some amount of allergic reaction to the "normal" beers even if you don't particularly feel it.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

aznsquirt wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:17 pm
DiamondDog wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:35 am Also, while I have a beer guy here, can you tell me if "hop sensitivity" is a thing? Honest to shit, I can drink wine all night, or several "normal" beers, but if I have an IPA, it's gotta be just one. Even two will fuck me up - not just drunk, but shitty, restless sleep and the most monumental of hangovers.
Well, you can absolutely 100% be allergic to hops, which is what this sounds like to me. What suck is if that's what it is, you're probably having some amount of allergic reaction to the "normal" beers even if you don't particularly feel it.
Yeah, that's the part I don't understand! I don't question it though, I'd hate to have to give up beer completely.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

DiamondDog wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:07 am Yeah, that's the part I don't understand! I don't question it though, I'd hate to have to give up beer completely.
The thing about hops is that they're unfathomably complex, and we're still struggling to understand them. Between the resins (alpha/beta acids, where the bitterness comes from), humulones, terpenes, etc, there is so much going on. Even though as brewers we focus on the main half dozen or so compounds, there truly are dozens or even hundreds of things going on in there doing god knows what and interacting god knows how.

And you could be allergic to any combination of those compounds.

And that's not even counting the vegetal matter, although it's unlikely that those are particularly allergenic.

I don't know which IPAs you're drinking, because they vary tremendously, but a "modern" craft IPA has an absolute metric fuckton of hop compounds present.

Just some back of the hand math here, but lets say you were to drink a Modelo Especial, and then drink some local craft super dry hopped hop bomb IPA.

The Modelo probably has something like, 15-20 IBUs (bitterness units), so as a rough guess that probably equates to, maybe 0.5-0.75lbs of hops per barrel (31.5gallons) of beer. And possibly even less if they use hop extracts, etc.

In addition, those hops are probably relatively low-oil hops, because there's no need to use expensive "flavor bomb" type hops that are packed with oils when you're just trying to get a little base bitterness to balance a light beer.

Also, those hops are likely boiled for a long time, which isomerizes the alpha and beta acids and gives the required bitterness but blows off 95%+ of the more delicate compounds. So whatever terpenes/thiols/etc that are present in those hops is long gone by the time the beer is even fermenting.

Meanwhile, the "Double Dry Hopped Tropical Express Explosion Star Wars Reference" IPA from your local hip craft brewery could have anywhere from like, 3lbs/barrel of hops to upwards of 6 or even 8lbs/barrel (10-12 is the most I've ever heard of someone using, but this is so far past the point of diminishing returns that it's just flushing money down the drain for marketing purposes).

And, the hop varieties in those beers are going to be absolute massive oil bombs, so even pound for pound they're going to contain significantly more active compounds.

In addition, if the brewers aren't completely clueless, those hops are being used in a way (very late boil usage+dry hopping, yeast strain choice) that retains as much of the most delicate hop compounds as possible in the final beer, as this is where the intense/bright aromas and flavors come from.

So, you can see where very quickly the amount of actual "hop oils" in the finished product gets completely obscene relative to your average light lager.

Let's say (just as an example) you have an allergy to a particular class of delicate terpenes, it's not out of the question to think that you're getting (pint for pint) hundreds or even thousands of times as much of these out of a properly made "modern" IPA vs. your average light lager.

So, even though I said that you may still be getting some kind of small reaction from any beer, after breaking it down like that, it isn't necessarily true.

One thing that would be interesting to try would be to take an antihistamine like Benadryl (which could attenuate the allergic reaction) after an IPA session and see if you notice a difference. Although, even if you feel better it's possible it's an indirect effect of the Benadryl helping you sleep :).
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

DiamondDog wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:35 am
aznsquirt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:28 pm
bigmakoshark wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:50 pmAgain, you know Jack shit. I was busy with real life and not connected to Sludge with an umbilical cord like you are.
You have more posts in the 7 years you've been on here than I have in the last 18. Wtf kind of card is this?
Have fun with your continuing denial. All talk, no substance.
bigmakoshark wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:03 pmBrews a few batches for a couple of years, thinks he's an expert
LMFAO. Are you blind?

I've literally taught graduate level university courses on this subject.

I've literally brewed beer for Miller Coors.

I was the first level 2 Cicerone certified in Sacramento County, and was one of the first few hundred people to be certified as a National rank BJCP judge.

I've literally brewed beer in collaboration with the 4th largest brewery in Germany.

I've literally given a presentation on this subject to one of the largest commercial brewing conferences in the nation, alongside a former brewer from Paulaner.

I could keep going, but i'm pretty sure it's impossible for someone's posts to have more "substance" on this subject than mine.
C ya!
Comeon man, don't run away. Explain to me what your "brewer friend from Budweiser" says is wrong. Since you're all about "substance" and all.

Here, since you're "so busy" and "don't have time to sludge", I'll make it worth your time:

Give me a list of things that your "brewer friend from Budweiser" says is wrong that I've said.

After you do that, I'll DM you my phone number, and you can have him call me.

If he can verify that he actually worked as a brewer for Budweiser, and can categorically disprove any of the statements I've made in this thread, I'll send you $200 Venmo/Paypal/Whatever.

I will also verify 100% of my stated credentials with him, and If I can't, you get an additional $200.

Easy money, yeah? We got a deal?

Or are you going to ignore this thread now and implicitly admit that you're completely fucking full of shit?

Yeah, just the fact that he can't counter with actual information and reasoning as opposed to "my buddy says..." tells me all I need to know here.

Also, while I have a beer guy here, can you tell me if "hop sensitivity" is a thing? Honest to shit, I can drink wine all night, or several "normal" beers, but if I have an IPA, it's gotta be just one. Even two will fuck me up - not just drunk, but shitty, restless sleep and the most monumental of hangovers.
Just more blah, blah, blah like the teacher in a Peanuts Charlie Brown cartoon.
You're like the episode Disorder in the Court with the 3 Stooges. The part where Curly
keeps being asked to take off his hat but can't figure it out. Except you do that with cut and pastes from Google.
At the end, everybody laughs at him while everyone else knows what's really going on. That's you :D
Get back to us after your trip to Germany where it all started with some actual info.
Until then, stay off of Google, take a Pamprin and smoke a bowl. You're disillusioned. Unless your 'credentials'
come from Germany, I'm not interested. I don't think anyone else here is either.
And all because I mentioned Warsteiner beer? Sad.
You take your life too seriously on a message board. Congratulations! Just you arrogantly blabbering on about shit
anyone can find in a search engine tells us what we really need to know here. Good job!
'Look at me, look at me? I'm special in my competition about beer information?'
Pure comedy gold that you feel the need so much to validate yourself. :D :D :D
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

This rebuke would carry more sting if you weren't writing butthurt essays yourself.
ImageImage
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Leinenkugels.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:04 am
One thing that would be interesting to try would be to take an antihistamine like Benadryl (which could attenuate the allergic reaction) after an IPA session and see if you notice a difference. Although, even if you feel better it's possible it's an indirect effect of the Benadryl helping you sleep :).
Ooh, brilliant idea! I'm going to have to try that some long weekend!!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

All you beer weirdos should relax. It's just beer, no one cares
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:13 pm All you beer weirdos should relax. It's just beer, no one cares
Okay, so apparently nobody should care about how to beer works, but somehow a well-brewed beer should magically appear in front of your face. Makes tons of sense, got it.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:13 pm All you beer weirdos should relax. It's just beer, no one cares
Says the guy still posting on a message board about music that virtually the whole world stopped caring about 30 years ago.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

bigmakoshark wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:51 amUnless your 'credentials' come from Germany, I'm not interested.
Your level of denial/flailage at this point is some next level shit.

Why didn't you take me up on my offer? Why did you stop taking about your buddy from Budweiser? What happened?

God damn it's fun calling people's bullshit and watching them flail.
bigmakoshark wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:51 amExcept you do that with cut and pastes from Google.
Show me something that I posted in here that I copy and pasted from Google, and I'll add another $200 my previous offer. Easy money, man. Come and get it.

BTW, If all of this information is readily available on Google, why are you still parroting total bullshit?
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:25 pm
Says the guy still posting on a message board about music that virtually the whole world stopped caring about 30 years ago.
Ummm, yes, on a music message booard. Not dick swinging about a topic that has nothing to do with said music.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:20 pm
Okay, so apparently nobody should care about how to beer works, but somehow a well-brewed beer should magically appear in front of your face. Makes tons of sense, got it.
Wow, you sure told me. I really don't care how just about anything appears in my grocery store....nor does anyone else. You just sound like a bunch of toddlers, making stupid bets about your knowledge. Good for you, you know about beer, congrats, I will defer to your beer majesty whenever I have a question about it.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:33 pm
Ummm, yes, on a music message booard. Not dick swinging about a topic that has nothing to do with said music.
So let me get this straight, you clicked on a thread titled "What's your favorite brand of Beer?" and then got angry that it's not about music?

You're dumb as a brick. Every beer you drink is the result of thousands and thousands of people nerding out about the intricacies of beer, which you claim nobody should do. You're welcome.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:50 pm
daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:33 pm

So let me get this straight, you clicked on a thread titled "What's your favorite brand of Beer?" and then got angry that it's not about music?

You're dumb as a brick. Every beer you drink is the result of thousands and thousands of people nerding out about the intricacies of beer, which you claim nobody should do. You're welcome.
Settle down there skippy, I was/am semi interested. You just sound foolish just insulting everyone, and asking for credentials.

As for "every beer I drink", haven't' had a beer in about 4 years, but if you could tell me how they make a good non alcoholic beer, I'd be interested in that, cause those are few and far between.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:58 pm Settle down there skippy, I was/am semi interested. You just sound foolish just insulting everyone, and asking for credentials.
insulting everyone, eh? asking for credentials? You haven't actually read any of this thread, have you?
As for "every beer I drink", haven't' had a beer in about 4 years, but if you could tell me how they make a good non alcoholic beer, I'd be interested in that, cause those are few and far between.
non-alcoholic beer is historically a dumpster fire, but they've gotten *way* better over the last few years. there have been a ton of advances in how to do it. That being said, I haven't tried too many lately.

The older methods involved evaporation or boiling beer off, which really wrecked the flavor profiles.

But, there are even yeast strains being developed to produce a minimum amount of actual ethanol. There will probably be very delicious 1-2% abv type beers coming out in the next few years, even though they cant be classified as NA

Also, a few people have so-called "proprietary methods" that they refuse to talk about (Athletic Beer Co being one of them). Their beer is very good, and I really have never heard any rumors or have any knowledge about what they're doing, so I have no idea if it's just marketing hype or if they really do have some secret techniques, etc.

Not a great answer but hey.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I enjoy me an occasional hand crafted root beer with a nice warm giant pretzel and coarse mustard I do..
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:36 pm
Wow, you sure told me. I really don't care how just about anything appears in my grocery store....nor does anyone else. You just sound like a bunch of toddlers, making stupid bets about your knowledge. Good for you, you know about beer, congrats, I will defer to your beer majesty whenever I have a question about it.
In this day and age, many, MANY people actually care quite a bit about how what's in their grocery store got there.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:48 pm
daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:58 pm Settle down there skippy, I was/am semi interested. You just sound foolish just insulting everyone, and asking for credentials.
insulting everyone, eh? asking for credentials? You haven't actually read any of this thread, have you?
non-alcoholic beer is historically a dumpster fire, but they've gotten *way* better over the last few years. there have been a ton of advances in how to do it. That being said, I haven't tried too many lately.

The older methods involved evaporation or boiling beer off, which really wrecked the flavor profiles.

But, there are even yeast strains being developed to produce a minimum amount of actual ethanol. There will probably be very delicious 1-2% abv type beers coming out in the next few years, even though they cant be classified as NA

Also, a few people have so-called "proprietary methods" that they refuse to talk about (Athletic Beer Co being one of them). Their beer is very good, and I really have never heard any rumors or have any knowledge about what they're doing, so I have no idea if it's just marketing hype or if they really do have some secret techniques, etc.

Not a great answer but hey.
Not really a fan of the Athletic offerings, but there are a ton of good ones out there now,
Sober Carpenter is one I'm currently hooked on.
Breweries, in my area at least, are scrambling to get one out, and are really struggling to get a good recipe. I've tried most of them, and a lot are waaaaay to fruity. I had one that tasted exactly like grapefruit juice. I always feel bad telling them it is not good, but I think they appreciate the feedback.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

I like Erdinger and Warsteiner.
I also found that I really like Saigon beer! The big half a liter bottle.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

What a bunch of wankers. Anyone who is anyone knows that the best German beer is Löwenbräu
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:46 pm
bigmakoshark wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:51 amUnless your 'credentials' come from Germany, I'm not interested.
Your level of denial/flailage at this point is some next level shit.

Why didn't you take me up on my offer? Why did you stop taking about your buddy from Budweiser? What happened?

God damn it's fun calling people's bullshit and watching them flail.
bigmakoshark wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:51 amExcept you do that with cut and pastes from Google.
Show me something that I posted in here that I copy and pasted from Google, and I'll add another $200 my previous offer. Easy money, man. Come and get it.

BTW, If all of this information is readily available on Google, why are you still parroting total bullshit?
Me, me, me again? Comedy gold! Keep going, this is classic :D
Please ingratiate us with another one of your diatribes. I can't wait!
Last edited by bigmakoshark on Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:36 pm
He does seem to have a rather big head, doesn't he? :D
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 am Me, me, me again? Comedy gold! Keep going, this is classic :D
You've clearly gone off the deep end, and have nothing left to say relevant to the subject, so I won't respond to you anymore unless you're taking me up on my offer.

Anyway, you're not in the mood to make some easy money? What if I double it? Triple it? Name your price. You and your "buddy from Budweiser" can take my money and have a laugh and a beer at my expense.

Or, you can continue flailing away and making it patently clear that you're 100% full of shit.
bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:04 am He does seem to have a rather big head, doesn't he? :D
I have zero ego attached to this subject, it just happens to be something I know a lot about, and I call bullshit when I see it, especially when it's coming from an arrogant jackass. Sorry not sorry.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:04 pm
bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 am Me, me, me again? Comedy gold! Keep going, this is classic :D
You've clearly gone off the deep end, and have nothing left to say relevant to the subject, so I won't respond to you anymore unless you're taking me up on my offer.

Anyway, you're not in the mood to make some easy money? What if I double it? Triple it? Name your price. You and your "buddy from Budweiser" can take my money and have a laugh and a beer at my expense.

Or, you can continue flailing away and making it patently clear that you're 100% full of shit.
bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:04 am He does seem to have a rather big head, doesn't he? :D
I have zero ego attached to this subject, it just happens to be something I know a lot about, and I call bullshit when I see it, especially when it's coming from an arrogant jackass. Sorry not sorry.
Only arrogant ass is you :D All I posted was that I suggested Warsteiner as a good beer. YOU decided to go on an unnecessary tangent about how
you're an 'expert' on the making of beer like you were Mufasa king of the fucking jungle. Sorry ass wipe, but your just not that important.
You are no more special than anyone else on here :D If you have zero ego, than why did it bother you so much that you had to post multiple diatribes about it like a whiny little girl? I've never understood crybabies like you when a simple one to three word answer would have sufficed instead of your 'lifetime I worked as a master brewer schtick', blah, blah, blah. Learn some humility before you attack others with your bullshit over simple comments. Your tampon is about to need changing. You better hurry up before another one of your bloody diatribes festers down your leg!
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I'm starting to warm up to this 'aznsquirt' character, this is hilarious!!
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm Only arrogant ass is you :D All I posted was that I suggested Warsteiner as a good beer. YOU decided to go on an unnecessary tangent about how
you're an 'expert' on the making of beer like you were Mufasa king of the fucking jungle.
Why aren't you taking my offer? Did your "friend at Budweiser" stop replying to your texts or something? Comeon man, free money AND you get to prove me wrong in front of everyone? What could be better?
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:56 pm
bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm Only arrogant ass is you :D All I posted was that I suggested Warsteiner as a good beer. YOU decided to go on an unnecessary tangent about how
you're an 'expert' on the making of beer like you were Mufasa king of the fucking jungle.
Why aren't you taking my offer? Did your "friend at Budweiser" stop replying to your texts or something? Comeon man, free money AND you get to prove me wrong in front of everyone? What could be better?
I'll take your offer, but I'll need 25% upfront as a show of good faith. Tuffcds is my venmo
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm All I posted was that I suggested Warsteiner as a good beer.
You said much more than that. You said "They don't put any BS in it like American beers. So, you don't get a seething hangover." & for that, I thank you. This thread is excellent.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

tooth wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:32 am
bigmakoshark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm All I posted was that I suggested Warsteiner as a good beer.
You said much more than that. You said "They don't put any BS in it like American beers. So, you don't get a seething hangover." & for that, I thank you. This thread is excellent.
I wouldn't call it 'much more than that'. Big deal.