Happy 80th, Mick

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Happy 80th, Mick

Post by DiamondDog »

Mick Fucking Jagger, 80 years old. Who would have ever thought *any* of the Stones would make to 80, let alone still be doing live dates.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Re: Happy 80th, Mick

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Fuck yeah. Nothing more to say. Happy birthday, Mick!!!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

My brother and I will laugh about this sometimes: When we were kids, right around the "Steel Wheelchairs" tour, the joke was that the Rolling Stones were basically geriatrics barely hobbling onto the stage.

Jagger would've been mid-40's, a couple years older than I am right now. :lol:

I think I made a thread about this once. Probably twice. Old age. :?
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Those of you who were around for Permanent Vacation, Pump, etc, did you make fun of Aerosmith for being old? I know the Stones have been called old for decades and I don't remember Aerosmith really being held to that standard. Though Aerosmith were bigger in the current pop world, so that could account for a lot of that.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:16 pm Those of you who were around for Permanent Vacation, Pump, etc, did you make fun of Aerosmith for being old? I know the Stones have been called old for decades and I don't remember Aerosmith really being held to that standard. Though Aerosmith were bigger in the current pop world, so that could account for a lot of that.
I was pretty young so I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I remember the Stones being parents' music while Aerosmith was considered a contemporary band that young people liked.

Not slagging the Stones at all, they were just in the classic rock stratosphere with the Beatles and Pink Floyd.

I guess I'll put it this way: Aerosmith was on MTV probably once an hour. The Stones were on VH1. (VH1 was a mom rock channel back then.)
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

‘94 VMAs were the first thing I ever saw on MTV.

Voodoo Lounge era. Stones played “Love Is Strong” and “Start Me Up”.

Roseanne hosted. I remember the opening routine included, “I met Mick backstage and was like ‘Hey Mick, nice ribs. What are you 50? Put on a shirt!’”

It was a big deal back then that a band was continuing into their 50s.

Paul and now Mick - 80!?

All I know is I’m still floored by what Mick was able to pull off physically when I saw him in 2019 at 76, months after having heart surgery.

Rock on, Mick.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
bigmakoshark
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by bigmakoshark »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:16 pm Those of you who were around for Permanent Vacation, Pump, etc, did you make fun of Aerosmith for being old? I know the Stones have been called old for decades and I don't remember Aerosmith really being held to that standard. Though Aerosmith were bigger in the current pop world, so that could account for a lot of that.
I love Aerosmith. But, they have never, ever been as big as the Stones.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:11 am I love Aerosmith. But, they have never, ever been as big as the Stones.
I was talking "bigger" in the pop sense, as it explicitly states in my OP. Aerosmith had the larger MTV/VHI presence and had way more of the soccer mom demo cornered with their ballads. I don't remember the Stones charting videos into the 2000's. They made them, sure, but they weren't "Jaded" type big. Aerosmith played the pop game while the Stones remained the Stones. That made Aerosmith more visible in the media to "the kids" and made them seem younger and more contemporary than the Stones. I don't really think that's debatable.

All that said, Aerosmith have sold more ctertified units than the Stones have, but who gives a fuck? The Stones were around ten years earlier and everyone in Aerosmith worships them. No Stones, no Aerosmith. The Stones don't need anyone to defend them. They're obviously the more impactful, historically and culturally, band between the two. "Bigger" is debatable based on your criteria.
Image Image
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:47 am
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:11 am I love Aerosmith. But, they have never, ever been as big as the Stones.
I was talking "bigger" in the pop sense, as it explicitly states in my OP. Aerosmith had the larger MTV/VHI presence and had way more of the soccer mom demo cornered with their ballads. I don't remember the Stones charting videos into the 2000's. They made them, sure, but they weren't "Jaded" type big. Aerosmith played the pop game while the Stones remained the Stones. That made Aerosmith more visible in the media to "the kids" and made them seem younger and more contemporary than the Stones. I don't really think that's debatable.

All that said, Aerosmith have sold more ctertified units than the Stones have, but who gives a fuck? The Stones were around ten years earlier and everyone in Aerosmith worships them. No Stones, no Aerosmith. The Stones don't need anyone to defend them. They're obviously the more impactful, historically and culturally, band between the two. "Bigger" is debatable based on your criteria.

Stones = Throughout their career, they have sold over 200 million certified records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Billboard ranked them as the 2nd Greatest artist of all time (behind the Beatles).

THE ROLLING STONES sold over 85,060,583 albums, including 59,131,001 in the United States and 6,220,000 in the United Kingdom. The best-selling album by THE ROLLING STONES is HOT ROCKS 1964-1971, which sold over 6,917,540 copies .

Aerosmith = As of November 2021, the band has sold 69.5 million albums in the United States in terms of certification units, and 31,702,000 albums since 1991 when SoundScan started tracking actual sales figures.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:59 am

Stones = Throughout their career, they have sold over 200 million certified records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Billboard ranked them as the 2nd Greatest artist of all time (behind the Beatles).

THE ROLLING STONES sold over 85,060,583 albums, including 59,131,001 in the United States and 6,220,000 in the United Kingdom. The best-selling album by THE ROLLING STONES is HOT ROCKS 1964-1971, which sold over 6,917,540 copies .

Aerosmith = As of November 2021, the band has sold 69.5 million albums in the United States in terms of certification units.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:02 am

Aerosmith = As of November 2021, the band has sold 69.5 million albums in the United States in terms of certification units.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 am
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:02 am

Aerosmith = As of November 2021, the band has sold 69.5 million albums in the United States in terms of certification units and 120 million worldwide.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:59 am Stones = Throughout their career, they have sold over 200 million certified records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Billboard ranked them as the 2nd Greatest artist of all time (behind the Beatles).
Not according to the RIAA website.
https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab ... ch_section

Or any of these who use actual certified sales and not reported sales.
https://www.businessinsider.com/best-se ... n-units-38
https://www.musicgrotto.com/best-sellin ... -all-time/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... re_records

Again, it doesn't/shouldn't matter, as the Stones ARE the bigger and more impactful band, as I said, but go on and white knight for them.
Image Image
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:23 amAgain, it doesn't/shouldn't matter, as the Stones ARE the bigger and more impactful band, as I said, but go on and white knight for them.
It's like comparing Jesus with John the Apostle. Jesus is the bigger deal.

But according to Sirrloin's numbers, Aerosmith sold more in the States? Record sales are only part of the story but that looks like the exact opposite of what he was trying to say.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:06 am ...............
Wait, did you keep trying to edit out the part where it says Aerosmith sold more records in the States? :lol:
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:16 pm Those of you who were around for Permanent Vacation, Pump, etc, did you make fun of Aerosmith for being old?

Not really. It was more of an acknowledgement of their elder statesman status. They were on fire anyway. Tyler and Perry looked better and had more energy than most of the younger guys. (Brad Whitford, always looked old, however, and any comment about him reflected that.)

Now KISS, on the other hand, were getting the old jokes in the late '80s, even though they were still in their '30s.

I guess it's the difference between being in your prime or clearly past it.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:40 am
Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:23 amAgain, it doesn't/shouldn't matter, as the Stones ARE the bigger and more impactful band, as I said, but go on and white knight for them.

But according to Sirrloin's numbers, Aerosmith sold more in the States? Record sales are only part of the story but that looks like the exact opposite of what he was trying to say.
It's such a stupid argument to even be having. It's the Rolling Fucking Stones. Absolutely unfuckwithable. Mariah Carey sold more albums than both Aerosmith and the Stones. I don't think that makes Mariah bigger than the Stones.
Image Image
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Mariah Carey isn't even bigger than Lionel Richie. She was a "special guest" opening for him a few years back.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:47 am "Bigger" is debatable based on your criteria.
Yep. Garth Brooks sold more records than Elvis.
Does that make him a bigger icon?

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:06 am
Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:47 am "Bigger" is debatable based on your criteria.
Yep. Garth Brooks sold more records than Elvis.
Does that make him a bigger icon?
Excellent point. And by my criteria, Elvis is bigger than Garth, Aerosmith and the Stones combined.
Image Image
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:41 am
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:06 am ...............
Wait, did you keep trying to edit out the part where it says Aerosmith sold more records in the States? :lol:
So what? I left it out cause we are talking worldwide sales here. Pay attention.
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:40 am

Who the fuck is Sirrlon? This is the second time you've accused me of being someone else?
My actual real name is John. Does that make you happy now? I don't mind debating with you, but please stop your delusions and get it right.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 am
Excellent point. And by my criteria, Elvis is bigger than Garth, Aerosmith and the Stones combined.
I could make a Wolfie joke right here, but I'll give you a break. :wink:

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Saw the Permanent Vacation (their best album) tour. Album was absolutely great. Show was great. But...yes. We looked at them as some old band that had somehow risen back from the dead. They were considered old fuckers.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:12 amSo what? I left it out cause we are talking worldwide sales here. Pay attention.
Okay, so how does leaving that info in cancel out the worldwide sales? Sure looks like you tried to pull one over on us, Sirrloin!
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:16 amWho the fuck is Sirrlon? This is the second time you've accused me of being someone else?
My actual real name is John. Does that make you happy now? I don't mind debating with you, but please stop your delusions and get it right.
This is easily the 9th or 10th time I've called you Sirrloin, Sirrloin.

It's funny that you still pretend to be confused. "Huh? What? Who is this Sirrloin you speak of?"
bigmakoshark

Post by bigmakoshark »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:54 am
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:12 amSo what? I left it out cause we are talking worldwide sales here. Pay attention.
Okay, so how does leaving that info in cancel out the worldwide sales? Sure looks like you tried to pull one over on us, Sirrloin!
bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:16 amWho the fuck is Sirrlon? This is the second time you've accused me of being someone else?
This is easily the 9th or 10th time I've called you Sirrloin, Sirrloin.

It's funny that you still pretend to be confused. "Huh? What? Who is this Sirrloin you speak of?"
10 times? That's interesting since I rarely post. Whatever makes your pee pee rise there sport!
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

bigmakoshark wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:06 pm10 times? That's interesting since I rarely post. Whatever makes your pee pee rise there sport!
Okay, Sirrloin.

DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

No. It was clear at the time that Aerosmith were on the comeback trail and the Stones never went away. But yeah...it was silly that the media thought of guys in their 40's as SOOO old! Now here we are saying Happy Birthday to him at 80!!!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:16 pm Those of you who were around for Permanent Vacation, Pump, etc, did you make fun of Aerosmith for being old?
No, because I stopped caring about them after the millennium. They really didn't age so much as disappear.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.