New Mick Mars Today - What is Your Plan?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: New Mick Mars Today - What is Your Plan?

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Boring and forgettable. Megaphone vocals got played out years ago.
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

Yep, this is dreck. The Motley guys are finished on all fronts.

Go back to the 1970's and pay your fucking child support, you deadbeat dad.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 pm The short solo had a Shout tone at times.

Maybe I’m old but I can’t really hear the guitar over the noise, it bothers my ears.

Bring on The Beatles.
I was thinking the same thing. A Mick Mars album where you can’t hear the guitar. Go figure.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I read every review prior to this before listening and zero positive. I then read the comments on the link and zero negative. Who do I believe?

And it sucks.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

decent riff, but the tune itself blows. Drop D and megaphone? Missed that by a few years
The power of Sludge compels you.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I wonder if Lynch and Sweet called him up yet for a project.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

What riff? All I heard was noise. What I didn't hear was a a loud, rude and aggressive guitar player.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Newsted's FU Money wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:50 am Yep, this is dreck. The Motley guys are finished on all fronts.

Go back to the 1970's and pay your fucking child support, you deadbeat dad.
He went back to the 1990s for the song so he's halfway there.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

It sounds like something a producer conjured up by entering "Generic 2000s Rock" into an AI app..
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

This!

I’d pick Mick Mars to be my Fantasy quarterback before I’d buy this album.
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 pm
Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:30 pm Brickwalled?

Everyone getting their own at-home laptop recording studio around 2003 was a bad idea.
PBFSUCKS

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Double post
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 pm
Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:30 pm Brickwalled?

Everyone getting their own at-home laptop recording studio around 2003 was a bad idea.
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:39 pm That was fucking terrible.

It doesn't really sound any different than SIX:AM.

Weird.
My first thought as well...I expected something more gritty, dirty and unpolished...
kytepunches
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by kytepunches »

I forgot about it already . What a lame song.
VinceVanLane
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by VinceVanLane »

It's way more modern sounding than I was expecting. It does sound like Sixx AM or any of the Motley songs that DJ Ashba played on, so that's weird. The vocals in the verses suck because you can't even hear what he's singing. The guitar solo is completely underwhelming and the tone of it sounds like it was cut and pasted into the song. The video has more production than I was expecting though and I was surprised Mick is even in the video. I don't hate it but I also don't see why I would ever need to listen to it again.

Here's the actual music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1wgVPaLoZ4
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Not bad!

I expected something more bluesy/rockish, this sounds almost like something Mötley could have put out.

I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Actually, you know what it sounds like?

It sounds like some Nashville modern-rock songwriters put together a song and then Mick came in and put some power chords and a half-assed guitar solo on it.

Which is probably exactly what happened.
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

I agree with some of the generic pop metal song comments. I love how they can't get enough Michael Wagener producing name dropping in the interviews. The singer even said, "Master of Puppets" Micheal Wagener!!!!!!.....And, uh, I think he might have produced Motley Crue's first too."
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

I agree with most of the posts above.
The solo is so short you barely even notice it.
The sound is way too modern for Mick Mars.
I was hoping for something more like his Bittersuite track from Quaternary.
You can barely hear his guitar over the drums.
I hate megaphone vocals.

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 pm Maybe I’m old but I can’t really hear the guitar over the noise, it bothers my ears.
It's not just you.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Made it through 40 seconds and bailed due to horrible muddy production and general overall BLAH...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Funz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Funz »

Gibsonite wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:16 am It sounds like something a producer conjured up by entering "Generic 2000s Rock" into an AI app..
This is right.

Yeah I was hoping for something more reminiscent of "Bittersuite" or heavy sludgy bluesy.

Motley's song from a few years back, "The Dirt", is much better than this forgettable tune.

When new Motley Crue is better than your own music, Mick? Oof.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Funz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:25 am
Gibsonite wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:16 am It sounds like something a producer conjured up by entering "Generic 2000s Rock" into an AI app..
This is right.

Yeah I was hoping for something more reminiscent of "Bittersuite" or heavy sludgy bluesy.

Motley's song from a few years back, "The Dirt", is much better than this forgettable tune.

When new Motley Crue is better than your own music, Mick? Oof.
Pretty much sums it up

I actually like a bunch of "generic 2000's rock", but this is very...ummm...uninspired might be the best way to describe it.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

It makes me wonder how long he's had this stuff in the can. The bottom line is that people who would be interested in his songs want something that reminds them of Crue.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Here's the thing about production...

We already know how they made Appetite for Destruction, Dr. Feelgood, Slippery When Wet, etc.

The producers and engineers were there. They know what they did. (Even if the musicians were boozed up or drugged out of their minds.)

So why does every rock band, old and new, go into the studio and say give me a sound like Theory of a Deadman, Sixx A.M. and Shinedown?

You'd think somebody... anybody... would order Appetite for Destruction off the menu. Even if the songs suck, you can still get the sound. The producers know how to do it.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:08 am
You'd think somebody... anybody... would order Appetite for Destruction off the menu. Even if the songs suck, you can still get the sound. The producers know how to do it.
Why would you assume that everyone would want that sound? that's the most ignorant comment I've seen on here lol
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Kerry67

Post by Kerry67 »

Liked the riff but that's about it. WAY to overproduced and sounds like every other shitty modern metal tune.
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 pm The short solo had a Shout tone at times.

Maybe I’m old but I can’t really hear the guitar over the noise, it bothers my ears.

Bring on The Beatles.
Exactly this. The mix is complete garbage.
sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Post by sirthx2 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:08 am Here's the thing about production...

We already know how they made Appetite for Destruction, Dr. Feelgood, Slippery When Wet, etc.

The producers and engineers were there. They know what they did. (Even if the musicians were boozed up or drugged out of their minds.)

So why does every rock band, old and new, go into the studio and say give me a sound like Theory of a Deadman, Sixx A.M. and Shinedown?

I used to always wonder why everyone didn't make records that sounded like Dire Straits and/or Steely Dan. These days you're not going to get there unless you have everyone in a proper studio as opposed to your 'home studio' recording digitally to Pro-Tools with the drummer, bass player, vox etc all loading their parts to DropBox so a 'producer/engineer' can throw 1,000 effects on it in post. VH 1 was recorded in a room (Sunset Sound) live. The drum mic above Alex's kit picking up the ambient sounds of Eddie's guitar parts so you can hear Eddie's 'perfect' playing. Not something like this, which I assume, has parts recorded months and months (years?) apart and put together layer after layer with a shit-ton of effects, pitch correction of every note, etc.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

VinnieStJohn wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:10 pm A decent song - though not quite what I was expecting. Agreed that the solo was somewhat underwhelming

As an aside - why the hate for Bunton? He is a decent enough singer - I liked the Adler disc and his earlier bands were enjoyable. He was cool when I met him.
I wouldn't say "hate", but he's the musical equivalent of a participation trophy..........
schlonginski
Opening for Slaughter

Post by schlonginski »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:08 am Here's the thing about production...

You'd think he could say make it sound like Shout at the Devil...