DID YOU KNOW THAT ... Men At Work's debut "BAU" Sold MORE Copies, than ALL 3 of Duran Duran's 1st 3 LPs combined!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

DID YOU KNOW THAT ... Men At Work's debut "BAU" Sold MORE Copies, than ALL 3 of Duran Duran's 1st 3 LPs combined!

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Crazy.... but it's true.

Think of how massive Duran Duran was... magazine darlings, MTV darlings, girls going crazy, the New Wave Beatles, etc...

But.. their first 4 LP's sold 1M, 2M, 2M and 2M....

Men At Work "Business As Usual" sold over 6M copies (globally sold 10M) and the follow-up "Cargo" went triple platinum (3M).

Those are crazy numbers... Colin Hay's royalty checks must have been insane... as some of those hits, had much more staying power over the last 30+ years!

Duran Duran while they had hits too... they were essentially a bigger "fashion" statement or a fad... safe to say?

$tEvil
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: DID YOU KNOW THAT ... Men At Work's debut "BAU" Sold MORE Copies, than ALL 3 of Duran Duran's 1st 3 LPs combined!

Post by rockker »

Duran Duran had the longer career but I agree you can’t get a 80’s compilation that doesn’t have “Down Under” or “Who Can It be Now?” On it… that must have set them up for life easily
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Re: DID YOU KNOW THAT ... Men At Work's debut "BAU" Sold MORE Copies, than ALL 3 of Duran Duran's 1st 3 LPs combined!

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I would have guessed BAU was on par with Rio.

1st 2 Duran Duran albums are awesome. Every album after that also has a few gems on it. I highly recommend All You Need is Now (13th album, 2010), that album is WTF crazy good, it would have been a killer follow up to Rio.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i have men at work's first 2 albums on cd.
i have duran duran's first 4 albums on cd.

love 'em all.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

"BAU"?

:roll:
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by TooOldToCare »

I celebrate their entire catalog.

As a 1984 high school grad, aside from KISS, Maiden, Rush, and hair bands, these pop-rock and/or new wave bands were the soundtrack to my best decade. Colin Hay and DD continue to be amazing acts to me. I still like Colin's folksy solo stuff. That statistic is mind-blowing.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

I would’ve guessed rio & business sold equally.

But Duran weren’t even close to a flash in the pan- that record was huge and also musically sound.
The OP’s final sentence is crazy
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

What I remember most about BAU & Cargo was how fucking amazing they sounded. Audiophile greatness! I hated them at the time for no other reason that they took 'best new artist' from my beloved Stray Cats at the 83 Grammys.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Considering it was their first album, you have to wonder how much money they really got from it when all was said and done.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The Power Station and Arcadia both went platinum.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

BAU had a bit of help with Australia 2 winning the America Cup yacht race, 1983 anything Australian was blowing up big time, Down Under was our unofficial national anthem around the world especially for the yacht race
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:48 am The Power Station and Arcadia both went platinum.
The Power Station shits the beat out of anything that any of its members did, except maybe the 1st few Chic records.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:45 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:48 am The Power Station and Arcadia both went platinum.
The Power Station shits the beat out of anything that any of its members did, except maybe the 1st few Chic records.
And talk about a record that sounded huge. Thompson's drums were monstrous. Fantastic album.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:40 am "BAU"?

:roll:
"Business As Usual" is the name of the Men At Work debut album!

$tEvil
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Men at work lost a law suit a while back over the flute solo from campfire song Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree and were ordered to pay a 5% of royalties. Really a messed up story. The woman who wrote Kookabura had no problem with it. After she died Someone bought the rights to the song from her estate sued Men at work and the record label. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 37974ea1ce
Nobodyspecial

Duplicate post

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Nobodyspecial on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

DiamondDog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 am
And talk about a record that sounded huge. Thompson's drums were monstrous. Fantastic album.
This ^^^

A fantastic band that should have done a lot more.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 am
DiamondDog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 am

This ^^^

A fantastic band that should have done a lot more.
I think they just viewed it as a one-off, so there was no real succession plan. Apparently, their original concept was to have rotating all-star vocalists like EVH originally wanted to do after Roth left, but once Palmer walked in, they clicked and he got the gig. Then, he ran off with Nile and 'Nard as fast as he could and copped their sound for his solo album. It was like WS 87, an album that came together with the right vibe at the right time but due to circumstances was never properly followed up on.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

I like a lot of Duran Duran's stuff, in spite of all the teeny bopper shit. (I always thought they were kind of like a poppier version of Roxy Music, marketed for a younger, female audience.) In fairness to them, they released a lot of good songs and they were very solid musicians. The albums were OK, but no shortage of filler. Videos were a major part of the phenomenon.

Men At Work's debut and second album were both excellent. They still sound really good forty years later. Cargo didn't sell as well as Business As Usual and didn't have a hit as big as "Down Under", but it was far from being a sophomore jinx release. (Unfortunately, album #3, Two Hearts, minus a couple of the original members, was a major disappointment.)

I actually saw Men At Work in a theater for the Business As Usual tour and in an arena for the Cargo tour. They sounded amazing both times, but weren't exactly the most exciting live band to watch, especially in a large venue. (The opener for the first show was an Australian band called Mental As Anything. The opening act for the next tour was an up and coming band called INXS...)
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

On May 14 of 1983, Cargo was #4 and Business As Usual was #7 on the Hot 200 album charts. That's impressive, considering Thriller was #1 and Pyromania was #2.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

HoldenSSV wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:45 am On May 14 of 1983, Cargo was #4 and Business As Usual was #7 on the Hot 200 album charts. That's impressive, considering Thriller was #1 and Pyromania was #2.
What was number 3?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

pieceofme wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:24 pm
HoldenSSV wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:45 am On May 14 of 1983, Cargo was #4 and Business As Usual was #7 on the Hot 200 album charts. That's impressive, considering Thriller was #1 and Pyromania was #2.
What was number 3?
Here's your answer
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Nobodyspecial wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am Men at work lost a law suit a while back over the flute solo from campfire song Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree and were ordered to pay a 5% of royalties. Really a messed up story. The woman who wrote Kookabura had no problem with it. After she died Someone bought the rights to the song from her estate sued Men at work and the record label. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 37974ea1ce
Didn’t this eventually lead to the dude taking his life?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

No he choked on a vegemite sandwich
TooOldToCare
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by TooOldToCare »

Overkill, It's A Mistake, and Dr. Heckyll were awesome songs from Cargo.

IMO, I'll take Overkill any day over LDU or WCIBN, but I get the quirky first reaction to the hits off BAU.

The first time I saw MAW on TV (pre-MTV) was some all-star concert that I swear was from Washington, DC. It also was the first time I'd seen/heard of Rick Springfield. Does anyone recall this televised concert around 1980 or 81?

I remember thinking, "Guy has a wonky eye." referring to Colin Hay during close-ups.
Last edited by TooOldToCare on Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:56 am Overkill, It's A Mistake, and Dr. Heckyll were awesome songs from Cargo.

IMO, I'll take Overkill any day over LDU or WCIBN, but I get the quirky first reaction to the hits off BAU.

The first time I saw MAU on TV
https://youtu.be/wT_Oic6Fx3g?si=HUqL0gk_MzTCmCL8
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:22 pm No he choked on a vegemite sandwich
On his 27th birthday.

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
Nobodyspecial

Post by Nobodyspecial »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:43 pm
Nobodyspecial wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am Men at work lost a law suit a while back over the flute solo from campfire song Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree and were ordered to pay a 5% of royalties. Really a messed up story. The woman who wrote Kookabura had no problem with it. After she died Someone bought the rights to the song from her estate sued Men at work and the record label. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 37974ea1ce
I believe so
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MAW and DD are both cool with me. I probably prefer DD slightly more because of their musicianship and longevity.

Joe Jackson, The Cars, INXS, Dexy’s, Blondie, The Police, Eddy Grant….I love all that music.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Nobodyspecial wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:00 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:43 pm
I believe so
what dude?