Gene proud they ended when they did, because if they kept going, they would have "stayed too long"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Gene proud they ended when they did, because if they kept going, they would have "stayed too long"

Post by HueyRamone »

KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons has reflected on the band's final performance, which took place on December 2, 2023 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Speaking to Artists On Record Starring ADIKA Live!, he said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):

"I'm proud that we did this at the right time, at the right place. Because, I mean, let's call it for what it is — how many world-champion boxers have stayed in the ring too long? Think about it. The best of the best get knocked out by some new chump because they stayed there too long. And we've all seen shows that have gone on too long. Leave them wanting. Fifty years is plenty. And the other thing is we introduced ourselves with, 'You wanted the best. You got the best. The hottest band in the world.' That's how you're gonna introduce yourselves and you're gonna come out in wheelchairs with fireballs on the sides? So you wanna get off that stage while the getting's good. You don't wanna become fat, naked, bloated Elvis on a bathroom floor when you are the king of rock and roll. That's not the way to go out. And in a very bizarre and sad way, Marilyn Monroe will forever be iconic and young because she died when she was young. We don't have an image of her in her 70s and 80s. And there's nothing wrong with that, by the way. But the great stars of yesteryear, once they quit acting, whatever, they would get off the media stage, if you will, and you wouldn't hear — Marlene Dietrich, I don't know what she looked like when she was 80. Greta Garbo and so on. They would disappear. They became private citizens, and that's the way to do it."
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Gene proud they ended when they did, because if they kept going, they would have "stayed too long"

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

28 yrs too long.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Gene proud they ended when they did, because if they kept going, they would have "stayed too long"

Post by maninblack »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:38 am 28 yrs too long.
Yep.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Er, what? Wheres the Dubai packages for the kisstards?
The power of Sludge compels you.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

There will be another KISS tour in the next 12 months.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

45 years too long
Nibbler
Forming a Band

Post by Nibbler »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:26 am "I'm proud that we did this at the right time, at the right place. Because, I mean, let's call it for what it is — how many world-champion boxers have stayed in the ring too long? Think about it. The best of the best get knocked out by some new chump because they stayed there too long. And we've all seen shows that have gone on too long. Leave them wanting. Fifty years is plenty. And the other thing is we introduced ourselves with, 'You wanted the best. You got the best. The hottest band in the world.' That's how you're gonna introduce yourselves and you're gonna come out in wheelchairs with fireballs on the sides? So you wanna get off that stage while the getting's good. You don't wanna become fat, naked, bloated Elvis on a bathroom floor when you are the king of rock and roll.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/kiss-c ... ecent-show

Going out on top.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

WTF ever Gene.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm
45 years too long
37 years too long
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

ironic - adjective

interesting, strange, or funny because of being very different from what you would usually expect.

(example:)
"It is ironic that although KISS has been horrible for years, Gene is proud they didn't stay too long"
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

How original!
CanadianMetal
Opening for Slaughter

Post by CanadianMetal »

Selfishly I am glad they did this last tour , as my twins (7 years old at the time ) were able to go on opening night of the tour , and had a fantastic time at their first concert . They were standing up rocking and singing for all 2 hours , and got to have a night out with dad on a school night complete with a late night after concert midnight dinner.

They still have that great memory and talk about till this day .

For some reason it was cool that their first concert was the same band that I first saw when I was a kid .

Glad KISS held out for this last tour , no matter what all you grumpy fuckers say ! lol

Am fortunate that my kids LOVE the hard rock / metal bands, unlike all my Co-workers & friends’s kids . who hate their parents music .
POUNDING THE WORLD LIKE A BATTERING RAM !!!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

CanadianMetal wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm Selfishly I am glad they did this last tour , as my twins (7 years old at the time ) were able to go on opening night of the tour , and had a fantastic time at their first concert .

CanadianMetal taking his kids to a KISS concert.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

CanadianMetal wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm Selfishly I am glad they did this last tour , as my twins (7 years old at the time ) were able to go on opening night of the tour , and had a fantastic time at their first concert . They were standing up rocking and singing for all 2 hours , and got to have a night out with dad on a school night complete with a late night after concert midnight dinner.

They still have that great memory and talk about till this day .

For some reason it was cool that their first concert was the same band that I first saw when I was a kid .

Glad KISS held out for this last tour , no matter what all you grumpy fuckers say ! lol

Am fortunate that my kids LOVE the hard rock / metal bands, unlike all my Co-workers & friends’s kids . who hate their parents music .
It popped up in my Rantbook memories this week that I took Ruby to see them in Melbourne 11 years ago.
I saw them in 1980 at the same age.

Ruby loved the show, but I knew they were done then.
I had tickets for the farewell show, but Paul got ill, and it was cancelled, I reckon he was the first celeb to come down with Covid.

They were the soundtrack to my life in my early teens, and I’m grateful they existed.

The memories and feelings those early tunes invoke are priceless.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

rubysdad wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:26 pm I had tickets for the farewell show, but Paul got ill, and it was cancelled, I reckon he was the first celeb to come down with Covid.
Yeah he caught it off the tip of some guy’s cock.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

maninblack wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:43 am There will be another KISS tour in the next 12 months.
I’ll take that bet.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

MisterSinister wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:26 pm
maninblack wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:43 am There will be another KISS tour in the next 12 months.
I’ll take that bet.
Oh, you're not expecting people to actually put money behind their big, bold predictions, are you?

P.S. I'd also like to book that action.