Bon Jovi - Legendary

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Luigi
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Bon Jovi - Legendary

Post by Luigi »

New single from the upcoming album Forever. I guess the song is fine if you like the later Bon Jovi material.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/bon-jovi- ... ary-single
I never post when I'm sober.
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: Bon Jovi - Legendary

Post by VinnieStJohn »

Meh. Sounds like everything else recorded after Richie left. Was We Don't Run their last decent lead single? (Even that was not stellar)

Sounds like what you would get if you asked AI to generate a Bon Jovi song in 2024
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

If this is the strongest track on the album (considering they released it as the first single), the album must be really crappy.
How long have they had the third guitarist & percussion guy in the band? I don’t even care who they are…
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

Here's the lead single from the last album with Richie. https://youtu.be/chXJFjrl-Q4?si=xBsqeIM9idLFchaO
He left the band during the tour for this album...oddly enough.
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

They need to lose Shanks and the bongo player and just get back to rocking instead. Obviously Sambora's not coming back, Phil X is a monster guitar player, use him.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

thechefs2003 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:41 am They need to lose Shanks and the bongo player and just get back to rocking instead. Obviously Sambora's not coming back, Phil X is a monster guitar player, use him.
Wow, no one has ever suggested this. You should work in the entertainment business...
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

Lol, actually I do.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Rocker4Real wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:26 am Here's the lead single from the last album with Richie. https://youtu.be/chXJFjrl-Q4?si=xBsqeIM9idLFchaO
THAT sounded like AI generated Bon Jovi! And there is no way that's Richie playing the "solo". I'm pretty sure that's just the basic pentatonic scale in reverse and then the exact solo repeats again at the end of the song.

As for "Legendary"... I'll listen to it later but I'm already assuming it's a yet another watered down version of It's My Life.... Limitless, This House is Not for Sale, We Weren't Born to Follow, Have a Nice Day, Everyday. Every album starts with the same song then goes downhill from there.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
JourneyRules
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by JourneyRules »

This is awful.
Borges
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Borges »

I usually stick with the bands I loved as a kid but I totally lost track of Bon Jovi the last 20 years, and now I remember why. This is embarrassing.
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

Sounds like a bad Taylor Swift song
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

As others have said, it's fine if you like Adult Contemporary Bruce Springsteen/John Mellencamp era Bon Jovi, which is almost everything going back to It's My Life.

At least Jon doesn't look half past dead anymore, so hopefully he has recovered from whatever happened to him, but this should either be solo material, or under some other name. There's nothing "Bon Jovi" about this when compared to the first 5 records.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Luigi

Post by Luigi »

Anthrax442 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:45 am As others have said, it's fine if you like Adult Contemporary Bruce Springsteen/John Mellencamp era Bon Jovi, which is almost everything going back to It's My Life.

At least Jon doesn't look half past dead anymore, so hopefully he has recovered from whatever happened to him, but this should either be solo material, or under some other name. There's nothing "Bon Jovi" about this when compared to the first 5 records.
Agreed 100%
I never post when I'm sober.
dweezil
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by dweezil »

At least he sounds better than anything on the last record.
Otherwise, it's just like every single since "Lost Highway"... at best it's mid.

2020 would have worked better if it was a Tom Waits style folk rock record.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

Even the Goo Goo Dolls rock harder than this.
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

It's pretty fitting that the last album was called 2020 because just like the year it came out, nobody has good memories of it.
RicksPickWrangler
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by RicksPickWrangler »

Bon Jovi goes Bro County, even down to the video performance in a field. Paint by numbers, what a waste of Phil X. At least he gets paid and can do a new Drills album.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Rocker4Real wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:26 am Here's the lead single from the last album with Richie. https://youtu.be/chXJFjrl-Q4?si=xBsqeIM9idLFchaO
Mediocre solo for sure, but at least this song has some balls to it, some life. Richie admittedly has his issues, but he was the only thing stopping Bon Jovi from being the Jon Bon Jovi show.

Phil X is completely wasted, and John Shanks is completely unnecessary if Jon is back to being able to play guitar. Something tells me he's not.

I hate to bag on Jon, because it's clear he's had physical/vocal issues for YEARS, and reportedly it seems like he's a good dude behind the scenes with all the charity work he does, but I've just got better things to do than listen to pretty much anything Bon Jovi related in the last 30 years.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Beyond boring.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Brutally bad. But so has been everything since Lost Highway. (That’s right, I like Lost Highway)

Who the hell is consuming this garbage?? It’s the most lifeless, uninspired, safest and boring mom rock produced this side of the millennium.

I never thought of Bon Jovi as a hard rock band… just give me another These Days or Destination Anywhere and I’d be happy. Those records had feeling.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

It’s absolute shit. From the lame snare to the waaaaaaaaooooooooowhhhhhaaaaaaa cliched 30 Second To Mars background, there was zero thought and effort put into this release. “We should get an extra percussion guy!?” Hell no.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Lost Highway was a great album.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

On first listen, I stand corrected. That's not a It's My Life rip off. At best, it's an album track from What About Now.

Jon's nasally computerized voice and the mention of Sweet Caroline and Brown Eyed Girl in the chorus annoyed me.

But what IMMEDIATELY pissed me off!!!!!! And I fucking mean this from the bottom of my heart as a life long Bon Jovi fan.... fucking seriously? The first thing you see in the video is a laptop! The second thing is John Shanks. So right away I was in a bad mood.

It is a fine, well written song.. but the presentation of it pissed me off. As mentioned by a few people above, I liked the Lost Highway record too. That sounded like Bon Jovi making a Nashville album. This song sounds like John Shanks making an AI version of Bon Jovi doing a Nashville song.

Can I throw anymore insults into one single post?

Oh yeah...I like how Jon throws the black guy in to give him some credibility. And where's Richie? There. That about covers it. Where's my copy of New Jersey?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

Jon thinks if you throw enough band members in the video, it will be hard for people to see Richie isn't one of them.

He went from not even having Hugh McDonald in press photos to having 10 people in the band now.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

This is what Bon Jovi has become since at least Crush (give or take a couple of tunes here and there). They've become another Matchbox 20/Train-style band. No more rock. It's nothing that interests me. You know Phil X is there for the paycheck. That dude is in demand for sessions and probably other bands. He can step up anytime and anywhere. Jon sounds okay on this track, but I'm unsure if it's studio tricks or vocal recovery. Soft rock radio will probably give it some plays.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

LitaStrauss wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:17 am Jon thinks if you throw enough band members in the video, it will be hard for people to see Richie isn't one of them.

He went from not even having Hugh McDonald in press photos to having 10 people in the band now.
I always liked the way Samuel L Jackson played the congas.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

I can’t hate it enough.

Jon’s latest interviews are more dickish than ever.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

The album cover sucks too … who blurs out the band and guys that have been with you for 40 years?
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

JourneyRules wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:52 am This is awful.
Agreed there.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
lesty
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by lesty »

ParaDime77 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:40 pm It’s absolute shit. From the lame snare to the waaaaaaaaooooooooowhhhhhaaaaaaa cliched 30 Second To Mars background, there was zero thought and effort put into this release. “We should get an extra percussion guy!?” Hell no.
The whoooa whooa’s are the worst - and have been in several bon jovi songs the last few Albums.
As long as he is only writing with shanks and Billy falcon, he’ll keep churning out the same boring stuff.
And the Chorus? How lazy do you have to be to just abruptly stop everything and say “legendary” at the end? At least writing with Richie could possibly produce some clsssic sounding songs, but Jon doesn’t want the drama. At this stage of his life, he just wants “yes men” surrounding him. Shanks and Phil are loyal and that’s all he cares about. Doesn’t matter if the music sounds like it’s watered down generic country rock.