"Ride The Wind" - Was this absolute peak Poison?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

"Ride The Wind" - Was this absolute peak Poison?

Post by Mister Freeze »

Hear me out.

Poison was riding high on album #3. Had a couple top-5 singles with "Unskinny Bop" and "Something To Believe In"... Then they released the "Ride The Wind" video while on the road.

Huge tour. Huge video. But I think this is the moment they started to roll down the other side of the peak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juhBVAnLkHk

It all maxed out here.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: "Ride The Wind" - Was this absolute peak Poison?

Post by aznsquirt »

I agree
Domino
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Domino »

yep
that bitch bends over and i forget my name
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

Coming out with Stand as the opening single for their next album didn't help them return with a bang.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Ride the Wind and Wont Forget You are two Poison songs I don't think I've ever let play all the way through. Pass.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:06 pm It all maxed out here.
According to Wiki, they had 8 top 40 singles before this.

Then this song and next single Life Goes On BARELY cracked the top 40 but they did. MTV played the videos a lot. Not as much as the others, but quite a bit.

So that's 10 top 40 singles in 3 records! My God...no wonder the band and Bret can still tour nonstop. So many bands out there continue with only 1 or 2 top 40 hits!

You're right though. That was it as far as their initial success. No other hits. So Tell Me Why didn't chart. Stand was only #50 and that was mostly because diehards bought the record. I personally love it but it did not perform well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_discography
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

One of my favourite Poison songs. Flesh and Blood is their most consistent album overall.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

I was a huge Poison fan back in the day and I don't recall this song ever being played on the radio, and I barely remember seeing the video on MTV.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

SchenkerFan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:11 am One of my favourite Poison songs. Flesh and Blood is their most consistent album overall.
Agree. Can't believe how huge they must have been in the US.
F&B was their peak in Europe too, Unskinny Bop got quite some rotation on MTV and Every Rose was a hit before that but they never made it bigger than playing 2nd or 3rd at various Monsters of Rock shows, below Whitesnake and Aerosmith.... no wonder they never play here.
kc primo
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by kc primo »

Look What the Cat Dragged In is their best album, they should’ve toured it like Motley did for Feelgoods anniversary
Every song could’ve been a single/video.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Garbage like ride the wind, Something to Believe in and Life Goes On is what makes poison hard to stomach. They were trying to be serious.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

"Rock Like A Rocker" was clearly the peak of their music and video career... anyone who thinks otherwise should seek professional help!

Now, let's sit back and watch an amazing musical display that has yet to be seen or heard since...

"Rock Like A Rocker" watch it here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEdDokkGVI

$tEvil
War_in_D
Slept with Donna Anderson

Post by War_in_D »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:04 pm "Rock Like A Rocker" was clearly the peak of their music and video career... anyone who thinks otherwise should seek professional help!

Now, let's sit back and watch an amazing musical display that has yet to be seen or heard since...

"Rock Like A Rocker" watch it here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEdDokkGVI

$tEvil
Your career actually ended up being at a pretty even level as Rock Like a Rocker.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

War_in_D wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:25 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:04 pm "Rock Like A Rocker" was clearly the peak of their music and video career... anyone who thinks otherwise should seek professional help!

$tEvil
Your career actually ended up being at a pretty even level as Rock Like a Rocker.
:shock: :lol: :D

I kind of agree... lol

$tEvil
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Nah, I'd say "Something to Believe In" was their last big peak. "Ride the Wind" was just a slight drop, but still a drop nonetheless. Then the real downhill slide began with "Life Goes On".
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:00 pm Garbage like ride the wind, Something to Believe in and Life Goes On is what makes poison hard to stomach. They were trying to be serious.
Yep. F&B was definitely their attempt at becoming a "serious band", Unskinny Bop notwithstanding.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:47 pm Nah, I'd say "Something to Believe In" was their last big peak. "Ride the Wind" was just a slight drop, but still a drop nonetheless. Then the real downhill slide began with "Life Goes On".

To clarify what I meant ... "Ride the Wind" was the very last moment of the do-no-wrong period where everything is great, nothing to worry about, this will go on forever, and MTV will play everything we release in heavy rotation.

I think they were totally fine with "Ride the Wind" cracking the top 40 at #38. It was an uptempo single to bridge the gap between two power ballads (like "Piece of Me" for Skid Row). It was for MTV more than radio anyway. "Life Goes On" only getting to #35 was probably the first sign of trouble for them. That one was meant to go top-15.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

Darrien wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:21 am I was a huge Poison fan back in the day and I don't recall this song ever being played on the radio, and I barely remember seeing the video on MTV.
I got my first speeding ticket to Ride the Wind! lol Z100 in NY so it wa played at least once!
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:10 pm
dmbrocker wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:47 pm Nah, I'd say "Something to Believe In" was their last big peak. "Ride the Wind" was just a slight drop, but still a drop nonetheless. Then the real downhill slide began with "Life Goes On".

To clarify what I meant ... "Ride the Wind" was the very last moment of the do-no-wrong period where everything is great, nothing to worry about, this will go on forever, and MTV will play everything we release in heavy rotation.

I think they were totally fine with "Ride the Wind" cracking the top 40 at #38. It was an uptempo single to bridge the gap between two power ballads (like "Piece of Me" for Skid Row). It was for MTV more than radio anyway. "Life Goes On" only getting to #35 was probably the first sign of trouble for them. That one was meant to go top-15.

Good point when you put it that way. "Life Goes On" sounds like something that could have charted higher but didn't because it was largely seen as kind of bland and generic for the time, and in a way it was.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:18 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:10 pm

Good point when you put it that way. "Life Goes On" sounds like something that could have charted higher but didn't because it was largely seen as kind of bland and generic for the time, and in a way it was.
CC being out by this point didn't help matters.