Questions about W.A.S.P - Inside the Electric Circus album

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Questions about W.A.S.P - Inside the Electric Circus album

Post by Mister Freeze »

The marketing of this album was weird.

There was just one single: "9.5. - N.A.S.T.Y." (which is a pretty cool track and by far the best song on the album). But as far as I could tell, a video was never made for it.

The only video was for "I Don't Need No Doctor" which I have vague memories of seeing on TV. And looking back, I'm not entirely sure it was for "Electric Circus" or the "In the Raw" live album the following year.

I'm confused. What was the reaction to this album when it came out?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Questions about W.A.S.P - Inside the Electric Circus album

Post by HueyRamone »

KNAC played 95NASTY a lot and I thought it was cool. Caused me to buy it, and then the prior 2.

Pretty sure headbangers ball played IDNND at this time.

I thought the album was great, equally good or better than the Last Command. Blackie disparages it, so I think some fans take his cue.
It felt like WASP was getting big in LA cause they headlined Long Beach Arena. I didnt go cause my friend wouldnt go with me, I guess maybe it was curtained off?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Complete flop. I remember all my friends loved the debut. Saw it in magazines, MTV, displayed in the record store. Even some radio play.

Last Command? Some of my friends liked it. Especially the singles. MTV played the videos a bunch.

Electric Circus? Don’t remember ever seeing a video or hearing a song. Don’t recall knowing anyone that bought it.

Listen to the first 3 in order.

1. Great
2. Good
3. Garbage
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:27 am Complete flop. I remember all my friends loved the debut. Saw it in magazines, MTV, displayed in the record store. Even some radio play.

Last Command? Some of my friends liked it. Especially the singles. MTV played the videos a bunch.

Electric Circus? Don’t remember ever seeing a video or hearing a song. Don’t recall knowing anyone that bought it.

1. Great
2. Good
3. Garbage
You admitted prior that you havent listened to it in 30 years. If you gave it a critical listen, i think you would update your opinion. I cant really see why someone would like Last Command and not like ITEC. They're practically sister albums. Heh heh... "sister". cause Blackie used to be in.... ah forget it.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Have no idea about the reaction at the time, but I think its a really good album. Prefer it a lot more than last command. And honestly listen to it more than the debut these days. The cover must have put fans off somewhat. But there is some good heavy songs on it.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:34 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:27 am Complete flop. I remember all my friends loved the debut. Saw it in magazines, MTV, displayed in the record store. Even some radio play.

1. Great
2. Good
3. Garbage
You admitted prior that you havent listened to it in 30 years. If you gave it a critical listen, i think you would update your opinion.
If you're giving WASP albums a critical listen, I would question your intelligence.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

I also don't think that touring with Slayer helped them that much. Having to play after Slayer couldn't have been good for them.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

1. Great
2. Good
3. Garbage
You admitted prior that you havent listened to it in 30 years. If you gave it a critical listen, i think you would update your opinion. I cant really see why someone would like Last Command and not like ITEC. They're practically sister albums. Heh heh... "sister". cause Blackie used to be in.... ah forget it.
This is true. I need to ignore the awful cover and forget my initial opinion. Revisit.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Bob Sacamano wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:51 am I also don't think that touring with Slayer helped them that much. Having to play after Slayer couldn't have been good for them.
It was like an angel of death was hovering overhead.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

This album is phenomenal, you should add it to your regular playlist.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:50 am
This was the album that killed WASP's career. At least in Scandinavia where they were big from the first album. A lot of hype around that album and tour, and I don't think they lost many fans with The Last Command even if they didn't play here. Everything was set up for them to hit a home run with the third album and headline arenas like Mötley did with Theatre or Maiden with Piece of Mind a few years earlier.

Then... nothing. The album came and went, many fans were disappointed and said it was bland and all songs sounded the same, and when they came here it wasn't to headline arenas, it was to open for Maiden. I saw that show and have the same opinion as most - they sucked. Didn't even sound like a band playing together, ten minutes or more wasted on the infamous poster solo and the sound was horrible. The only cool thing was the circus themed backdrop. Also it became obvious what a Mötley ripoff they were, ditching the black leather and blood and evil image for a more colorful pretty boy glam style and songs about sex, touring and partying on the third album. Except nobody in WASP looked good enough to be a pretty boy in the MTV era.

A few years later they returned with their best album ever, but by then it was too late and they never made it to Mötley and Maiden or even Dio and Accept's level.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:09 am
Bob Sacamano wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:51 am I also don't think that touring with Slayer helped them that much. Having to play after Slayer couldn't have been good for them.
It was like an angel of death was hovering overhead.
Haha, Kerry King once again opened up for Blackie 2 days ago, I wonder if they high-fived each other at the buffet!

https://www.swedenrock.com/en/festival/ ... edule-2024
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:20 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:50 am
This was the album that killed WASP's career.
WASP had a career?

If they weren't on the filthy fifteen they would've disappeared immediately. They were always a joke band. Their biggest gig in the States was opening for 7th Star Sabbath, ffs.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:04 am Their biggest gig in the States was opening for 7th Star Sabbath, ffs.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Jam-packed, I'm sure.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Wasp is awesome
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The schedule is crazy. W.A.S.P. finished touring for The Last Command on May 12, 1986, recorded ITEC in July, released the new album in October and was back on the road in Europe by the end of the month.
https://www.chmetal.info/tourdates/WASP_1986.htm

They headlined the U.S. from January to March with Saxon opening, playing a combination of clubs and theaters, ending with the big homecoming gig at the Long Beach Arena.
https://www.chmetal.info/tourdates/WASP_1987.htm

Then nothing until a one-off Donington festival in August. By then, Riley left for L.A. Guns and the fill-in drummer fucked up his own chances to continue the gig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quseoviA8Qk

Blackie returned to his old look for the "Scream Until You Like It" video (which fit the Ghoulies vibe better anyway) and live album in November.

A weird time for W.A.S.P.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:15 pm
Then nothing until a one-off Donington festival in August. By then, Riley left for L.A. Guns and the fill-in drummer fucked up his own chances to continue the gig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quseoviA8Qk

Blackie returned to his old look for the "Scream Until You Like It" video (which fit the Ghoulies vibe better anyway) and live album in November.

A weird time for W.A.S.P.
Even weirder when you consider that they burned through three drummers between Riley's leaving and that Donington one-off: First Chad Nelson for a few shows, then Glenn Soderling (never played on tour, but may be in the Scream Until You Like It video or a TV playback appearance) and Kelly Martella who played Donington and was fired by Blackie the same day. Some sources list Martella as being in WASP from 87-88 but it's wrong, he was in Silent Rage by that time.
p86

Post by p86 »

I love this album. Restless Gypsy, Sweet Cheetah, 9-5 Nasty, Shoot From the Hip, King of Sodom and Gomorrah, and I'm Alive are all rocking songs, if somewhat similar. It's odd that they only released 1 single. No social commentary--just hedonism and I like it!
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

p86 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:07 pm I love this album. Restless Gypsy, Sweet Cheetah, 9-5 Nasty, Shoot From the Hip, King of Sodom and Gomorrah, and I'm Alive are all rocking songs, if somewhat similar. It's odd that they only released 1 single. No social commentary--just hedonism and I like it!
All awful songs. There wasn't even one single decent original tune on the record. I remember being excited for it to come out, getting it, listening 5-10 times, and then putting it away forever. It was that bad. Certainly killed their career in the US although at least they gained a smaller audience but some musical respect with the excellent fourth album. But by that time, their commercial moment had passed.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

My friend once described this as “the album where all of the songs have the same chorus”

Shot from the hip, electric circus, 95 nasty, restless gypsy and rock rolls forever on are the standout originals

The two cover versions are good

WASP was regularly in the singles charts in the U.K. from this album until Chainsaw Charlie , it was by the ‘ I am one’ EP that they didn’t , although they had one last gasp with ‘sunset and Babylon’.

Since then they’ve mostly been a popular live act than a band that sells records over here, although some of the set lists were very short and backing vocals at least were clearly piped in. Last time I saw them was Dominator tour.

I tried one more gig after that but it was cancelled on the day of the gig and I only got partial refund so I’ve not been back, weighed up the hassle of going through that again for the same 8 songs or whatever
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

For me, it was a watered-down version of The Last Command.

The only songs that ever resonated with me were “Restless Gypsy” (which should have been released as a single/video) & the title track.

The rest is filler, for my ears, including the two covers.
RicheyJamesEdwards
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by RicheyJamesEdwards »

When I saw them in Chicago it was Raven & Slayer opening. It was GA so everyone was lined up in the ally next to the venue. About every 10 minutes our so a chant of “wasp sucks” would break out in the crowd. It was like ALL Slayer fans. Taking them on tour was the worst idea wasp ever had. Especially on the most commercial wasp album.

I think it’s a decent album. Not nearly as good as the first 2, but good enough. But the outfits they chose for that tour were Billy Squire “rock me tonight” bad. Another stupid move by them. Between Slayer, their outfits, and a poppier album, they tanked their whole career.
RicheyJamesEdwards

Post by RicheyJamesEdwards »

When I saw them in Chicago it was Raven & Slayer opening. It was GA so everyone was lined up in the ally next to the venue. About every 10 minutes our so a chant of “wasp sucks” would break out in the crowd. It was like ALL Slayer fans. Taking them on tour was the worst idea wasp ever had. Especially on the most commercial wasp album.

I think it’s a decent album. Not nearly as good as the first 2, but good enough. But the outfits they chose for that tour were Billy Squire “rock me tonight” bad. Another stupid move by them. Between Slayer, their outfits, and a poppier album, they tanked their whole career.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

RicheyJamesEdwards wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:32 am But the outfits they chose for that tour were Billy Squire “rock me tonight” bad. Another stupid move by them.
Ok, they weren't "rock me tonight" bad, let's not be silly. They were a bit much, but with a Circus theme and compared to their Peers in Asylum wear and Theater of Pain wear, they weren't THAT OTT.

Chris Holmes must not have felt right in them, because he started the tour in this:

and finished it in this:

Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:13 am
Chris Holmes must not have felt right in them, because he started the tour in this:

and finished it in this:

Blackie and/or the label tried to make Holmes the pretty boy of the band, perhaps for lack of better options.
It didn't work... maybe because he wanted too much to be a biker badass who beat up rich kids back in 5th grade.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:28 am
Blackie and/or the label tried to make Holmes the pretty boy of the band, perhaps for lack of better options.
Im pretty sure Blackie thought HE was the pretty boy in the band. Especially during Circus, where he lost the flab and was tanned and copying everything Paul Stanley.
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

Love ITEC....

Heard Holmes, Born, Work, Die track the other day and it actually stuck with me. He still has the lyrical nuance of a sophomore but it rawked.
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Einstein Lawless wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:47 pm Love ITEC....

Heard Holmes, Born, Work, Die track the other day and it actually stuck with me. He still has the lyrical nuance of a sophomore but it rawked.
Haha! I was just humming "You better come down baby, just to get ready for a decibel shower!!" the other day too!
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

1. Great
2. Good
3. Garbage
I agree. My recollection was it was pretty bad, especially compared to the first two. But revisiting it a few years back its better than what I thought. It's definitely weaker than the first two, but stronger than I thought back in the day.

Looking at the song list now, I believe Mantronic was the one that completely made the entire album seem like it was garbage.