Anyone enjoy seeing Megadeth live? Ever?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Re: Anyone enjoy seeing Megadeth live? Ever?

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Nope.
Their music is too complex to sound good live.
The moment the sound is not absolutely perfect it becomes a sonic mess.
On top of that Mustaine is atrocious as a live singer and the band is boring as hell to watch.
Three guys standing there with their face looking at their guitars bopping their heads.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I saw them in June... Quite honestly, I had a good time, I hadn't seen them in around 10 years, so it was neat hearing/seeing them live.

The most boring/static band award goes to Necrophagist, their music is so damn technical that those guys were glued to their spots.
CrankerBait
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by CrankerBait »

Saw them almost 25 years ago in a club with a capacity of about 1 000. It wasn't one of the greatest shows I've seen, but it was pretty good. I think they played two covers - "Anarchy in the U.K." and "Paranoid" - as the encore.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

I saw Megadeth's last show in the 1980s and the very last with Jeff Young and Chuck Behler. Donington 1988, the first time I saw Megadeth and I was surprised how good they were.

They played after Helloween who I'm not a fan of (but they were ok, especially the new songs Dr Stein and Eagles Fly Free) and Guns N'Roses whom I expected a lot more from, so the competition wasn't too tough. DLR and Kiss were also kind of disappointing, not awful but I have seen much better shows by both.

It was my first festival abroad, the biggest by far and cool just to be at a Real! Monsters! of Rock! but it was really only Maiden that were great that day.

Saw Megadeth 3 more times and this was the best IMO.

Edit: just listened to some of the Donington 88 bootlegs. After GnR finished their set you can hear some fans chatting and arguing. In the middle there is a voice who says very clearly, in a Southern Sweden accent: "Fan va dom va dåliga" (Damn, they sucked!) :)
Last edited by Love_Industry on Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingbrian74
Headlining Clubs

Post by kingbrian74 »

I've seen a couple good Megadeth shows.....but those were many years ago.

Over recent years, they have gotten progressively more terrible. Now I don't even consider going when they come around.
Last edited by kingbrian74 on Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoodJudge
Headlining Clubs

Post by GoodJudge »

Repeat story, my first Megadeth show was The Marquee, capacity 800, in March 1991 for Kerrang!'s 10th anniversary. I absolutely loved it, esp. Mechanix. When Dave introduced the band, people started chanting "Junior, Junior" for Ellefson. Dave M looked surprised and said "that's never happened before". Then Chris Watts at K! gave it one of his typical snarky reviews.

I already had a ticket for Hammersmith on the main tour (Rust, obv) 3 days later, and they were another band. Just boring. However, I was in a balcony seat so I gave them a 3rd chance on the Countdown tour, again at Hammersmith. Pantera opened and destroyed. Megadeth were boring again.

I know I then saw them support Metallica @ Milton Keynes Bowl in '93 but I can't remember anything about them. The only time since was the Big 4 tour. Guess what...
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Saw them ages ago when STP was the opening act.

They were amazing. Don't know or care how they've become as of late.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
VinnieStJohn
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinnieStJohn »

I just saw them a few weeks ago in a pretty full shed. Dave was in a good mood and the crowd was into it - it was a good time. Dave was actually joking and bouncing around (for him). But it is hit or miss
jens

Post by jens »

Last time was 2022 in Verona, italy and it was a good show. My girlfriend never liked them and didn't have a ticket, but since it was the last day of the festival she could walk in for free. She enjoyed it very much and can even tolerate the records these days.

Dave's mood hasn't been the problem since recovering from cancer, but the vocals can be very hit & miss.
Mato
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Mato »

Caught them opening for Priest in the fall of 1990. Their run on the "clash of the titans" in spring of 1991. Their super successful 'countdown to extinction' headlining tour in feb 1993. Always enjoyed their sets. nothing boring about them then.

DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Saw them with Savatage and Dio. One of the best live shows I’ve seen. Megadeth absolutely killed. Saw them open for Crue. Megadeth absolutely killed. Again.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Mato wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:25 am Caught them opening for Priest in the fall of 1990. Their run on the "clash of the titans" in spring of 1991. Their super successful 'countdown to extinction' headlining tour in feb 1993. Always enjoyed their sets. nothing boring about them then.
I saw them open for Judas Priest in 1991 as well (Testament was the other band). They were supporting the Rust In Peace album and Megadeth was great. Same with the Clash Of The Titans tour, all the bands were really good.

I didn't bother going to the Countdown To Extinction show though. They played 30 minutes outside the city in an old airplane hangar with no seats, just aluminum siding for walls and a concrete floor so I passed on it.

I didn't see them again until Heaven & Hell (Sabbath with Dio on vocals) came through town in 2007. Megadeth opened, the lineup was Mustaine with the Drover brothers on guitar and drums and Lomenzo on bass. Again, they were quite good.

Saw them headline Gigantour in 2012. They were okay but supporting a bad album (Thirteen) so it was a little underwhelming. I was happy to see Motorhead as they were direct support.

IMO they are a really good fit as an opening band or co-headliner. If they stick to an hour set or hour and 20 minutes they come across better.

They have not mixed up the setlist enough over the years to justify seeing them as a headliner. You'll never get a set from them that's over an hour and a half. They're definitely no Metallica who will give you two and a half hours with radically different setlists night in and night out.
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

I'm seeing them in 3 weeks because I don't think Dave Mustaine is gonna be around another decade to keep having a chance to see.
LIVE N' UNCUT

Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I saw them twice in the late 90s. They weren’t Metallica that’s for sure.
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

Saw em three times back in the day. First time was the Christmas On Speed thrash festival in Leeds, Dec '87. They were brilliant, though not as good as some of the other bands that day. Second was May '88, So Far So Good So What tour in Bradford. Very good show, maybe a bit less intense, more elaborate staging. Third time was Donington '88, again very good but that was a weird day all round.
Kinda lost interest in em after that.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com
GoodJudge
Headlining Clubs

Post by GoodJudge »

LeeRatbag wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:28 pm Saw em three times back in the day. First time was the Christmas On Speed thrash festival in Leeds, Dec '87. They were brilliant, though not as good as some of the other bands that day. Second was May '88, So Far So Good So What tour in Bradford. Very good show, maybe a bit less intense, more elaborate staging. Third time was Donington '88, again very good but that was a weird day all round.
Despite my earlier comments I'm jealous for all of three of those shows.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Several times, but none since about 2012. Had tix in the 3rd row in 2020 but the show was cancelled durng lockdown.

Always had fun at their shows. Favorite was probably 2004 at the Riv in Chicago. Exodus opened. Both bands kicked ass. Great setlist that night too.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
skinni

Post by skinni »

Yes, great band. Best lineup was with Friedman
KISStian
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by KISStian »

I was a big fan through most of my teens/twenties and saw them a bunch but they were easily the most boring of the big four. Even at their peak. The live shows haven't had any ferocity for about 30 years now. As some have alluded to, they are really quite good as direct support. I had pretty much given up on them but was going to see Heaven and Hell anyway, and they were really, really good in that spot. Last show I went to was CTE 20th anniversary. It was good but not great. Haven't bothered since. I'd still see them but it would have to be them but the circumstances would have to be right. Another words, I'm not going out of my way to see them.
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

GoodJudge wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:52 pm
LeeRatbag wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:28 pm Saw em three times back in the day. First time was the Christmas On Speed thrash festival in Leeds, Dec '87. They were brilliant, though not as good as some of the other bands that day. Second was May '88, So Far So Good So What tour in Bradford. Very good show, maybe a bit less intense, more elaborate staging. Third time was Donington '88, again very good but that was a weird day all round.
Christmas On Speed was by far the best of the three. That was a fucking hell of a day. Voivod never made it cos they got stopped at customs, Laaz Rockit were pretty pedestrian and Virus got booed off, but every other band was fantastic. Think Overkill were the best of the day.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Words can not describe how AWFUL they are live !!!
GoodJudge
Headlining Clubs

Post by GoodJudge »

LeeRatbag wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:51 am
GoodJudge wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:52 pm
Christmas On Speed was by far the best of the three. That was a fucking hell of a day. Voivod never made it cos they got stopped at customs, Laaz Rockit were pretty pedestrian and Virus got booed off, but every other band was fantastic. Think Overkill were the best of the day.
Virus! Haha. My friend bought their Force Recon LP when we were young and just getting into thrash and trying to hear as much as possible. But even then I knew they were shite. Didn't they have a song about the Vietnam war on it? IIRC they were from Brighton. :roll:

Didn't know about Voivod, I found out about the show in general a few years later when I started buying back issues of K! and saw the ad and was vv impressed by the line-up.
Indy_Rob
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Indy_Rob »

I've seen them countless times and with multiple lineups. Always enjoyed their shows.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I saw them in 1988 and yes I liked them.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

hmmm
clash of the titans-it was ok
cte-killer show at the fox theater
youthanasia-played in a warehouse kind of club (international ballroom in norcross)-not much of a show but musically sounded great
risk-not great but still decent, felt like a different band
after that? i gave up...d.m.
joey78
Headlining Clubs

Post by joey78 »

Used to enjoy them till Friedman and Menza quit.

After that Mustaine kept hiring musicians who were technically proficient but had zero personality

Broderick
Drover brothers
Kiko
Teemu

And the music became way too complex after super collider
REO Cokewagon
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by REO Cokewagon »

VinnieStJohn wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:38 am I just saw them a few weeks ago in a pretty full shed. Dave was in a good mood and the crowd was into it - it was a good time. Dave was actually joking and bouncing around (for him). But it is hit or miss
Fuck VinnieStJohn !!!!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

REO Cokewagon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:31 pm
VinnieStJohn wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:38 am I just saw them a few weeks ago in a pretty full shed. Dave was in a good mood and the crowd was into it - it was a good time. Dave was actually joking and bouncing around (for him). But it is hit or miss
Fuck VinnieStJohn !!!!
You're more of a Tommy Frehley guy then?
VinnieStJohn
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinnieStJohn »

Fuck VinnieStJohn !!!!
Love is love - I'll take it :D
VinnieStJohn
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinnieStJohn »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:29 pm
Fuck VinnieStJohn !!!!
You're more of a Tommy Frehley guy then?
Tommy is paint by numbers

I was more of a Bruce Frehley guy