Jane's Addiction Boston - Dave and Perry FIGHT!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SterileEyes1
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: Jane's Addiction Boston - Dave and Perry FIGHT!

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:07 am
Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:41 am Speaking of attention seeking, where is his wife, by the way?

Her "personal observation" of the fight is weird. Her Instagram post reads like it was written by a fan or music journalist.

“This sounds like something someone who does a lot of meth with Perry would say,” I said to myself reading that thing.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide”
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

ijwthstd wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:39 am
Van Ailin' wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:02 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:06 am
Apparently the Tower Theatre riot he started in 1990 was because he couldn't cop heroin, got dopesick, and took it out on the audience, which is ridiculous because there were open-air drug markets all over Philly. Shit, the airport/SW Philly was just 10 min away. What a dumbass, he couldn't even get being a junkie right.
I do realize that once addicted to the stuff, it's a complicated thing as the body's addiction screams for it so loud that it becomes almost involuntary. That's why we're taught to not see the addiction in a moral sense or in a "why not just stop right now" sense.

That said, there is a time in life when that addiction isn't there and isn't compelling the body to do it. That time is before the first time using the stuff. There is all kinds of information out there showing exactly why it's not a good idea to go down this road. So it's almost a measure of one's intelligence: do you ever take that first bit or not. If not, you're smart. If yes, you are a fucking dumbass. There is only one 100% foolproof way to not have to deal with addiction to opiates: don't ever take the first dose. I may be wrong about some things . . . but not this.
Oh I agree completely. However after the US successfully got Turkey to stop growing opium in the 1970's and heroin use went into a steep decline most law enforcement resources and public education in the 1980's were directed at cocaine and marijuana. This was while opium cultivation and heroin purity was skyrocketing worldwide and methamphetamine production was also steadily increasing. A lot of people suggest it was the hyperbolic portrayal of marijuana as a dangerous and addictive drug that led to a lot of skepticism over the warnings against taking harder drugs.

We did have a junkie speak at school about heroin use though.

But yeah, he is a dumbass. Now opiate use after 1997 is a whole different story. It was given to us safely by our trusted physicians. Well not me, though the dentist sure gave me a helluva lot of vicodin for a root canal. I think I took 1 or 2 and tossed the rest.
I think we know that the people who get hooked via Oxycontin are a different case, but that's also only a portion of the people with a problem. I had major surgery (prostate removal, sadly) in 2012, and the doctor was about to prescribe oxycontin for pain when I interrupted him. I said, "hold on, I've heard about this. Is there anything else? What if I try something lesser." Got by for a week with Tylenol 5 and then didn't need any more. That was a good decision, an informed decision, and a responsible decision.

For those (like Perry) who just got into heroin through drug use, and especially after the late 1960s when plenty was known and publicized (yes, I'll put Nikki Sixx under the bus with this, too) - just a dumb decision. ?Same with meth and same with fentanyl. It's not really an issue of smarts or mental toughness once in the throws of addiction. But before that, before the first hit? It takes virtually nothing to just say, "no, man, don't need that." And that's ACTUALLY all it takes to avoid this altogether. People who make that choice (yes, like me) ought to be celebrated. People who don't should not be elevated.

There. I said it.
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

This video is 76 seconds, but you see the tension start to boil.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/Fzr2E408UL4

0:10 - Perry's fumbling around with the iPad.
0:24 - Navarro's looking at him like something is wrong. He looks over at the drummer as if to see if the drummer notices it too.
0:42 - Navarro taps Perry and makes some gesture and walks away.
0:50 - Perry's still looking at Navarro very confused.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Zabooka wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:13 pm This video is 76 seconds, but you see the tension start to boil.

0:24 - Navarro's looking at him like something is wrong. He looks over at the drummer as if to see if the drummer notices it too.

Not an ipad. Its a vocal effects unit

Interesting video though, helps a little trying to figure out what happened. thanks for posting
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

TheCULTofMANSON wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:49 pm
Zabooka wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:13 pm This video is 76 seconds, but you see the tension start to boil.

Interesting video though, helps a little trying to figure out what happened. thanks for posting
Yep! Your boy is a junkie and destroying the tour.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:52 pm
TheCULTofMANSON wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:49 pm

Youre super annoying. Im sure u know that
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Eh. Either that or he's slipped into alcoholism. I'll put my money on that. Have seen this coming for 10-15 years. Like many, he just replaced one thing for another. Maybe cocaine, too, given how emaciated he looks now.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Van Ailin' wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:30 pm
Eh. Either that or he's slipped into alcoholism. I'll put my money on that. Have seen this coming for 10-15 years. Like many, he just replaced one thing for another. Maybe cocaine, too, given how emaciated he looks now.
Believe it or not crack was the drug of choice in that slice of the LA music scene in the late 1980's. He probably smoked himself a big fat rock before taking the stage which is why his voice is messed up.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Tyketto Meniketti wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:25 am
Ol' Dirty Bastard wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:04 pm These guys are fucking hilarious still doing this shit into their old age. 65 and fucking around and finding out his way into the retirement home. Jane's Addiction is about as glam metal LA 80's shit as I can get down with anymore though, at least they didn't suck.
That's the thing, this band DOES suck because Ferrell is a no voice drug addict. Navarro doesn't suck. But in general this is not a good band. Talk about nostalgia, they were marginal at their very best. Ferrell's always been talentless.

Yeah, they brought the weird. So did Suicidal, Faith No More, et al., and were much, much better.

This. Never understood the appeal. Ferrell made Joe LeSte sound like Freddie Mercury.

So many better alternative bands like you mentioned.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

ijwthstd wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:03 pm
Believe it or not crack was the drug of choice in that slice of the LA music scene in the late 1980's. He probably smoked himself a big fat rock before taking the stage which is why his voice is messed up.
Is very much believed. He certainly spoke of using it in prior interviews I remember from the Janes Addiction time frame and particular the PFPyros time frame. Looking at how skeletal he is now, some kind of cocaine abuse certainly seems possible. Whether it's that or alcoholism (or both) almost doesn't matter. What matters is the behavior. My earlier criticism of him (and I do like quite a bit of the music) was that he seemed to build a lot of the early hype around the band on "heroin chic." Although the 90s Seattle bands get some attention for this, and Stone Temple Pilots, my memory is that it came with the "ooh, danger, chic" attitude mostly from Jane's Addiction. Of course, underground copies of The Gift backed that up.

It was around in the 80s with Motley Crue, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Guns 'n Roses notable users, but aside from GNR (a little bit) not really pushed that as something cool. As soon as it started to get know, they became a bit apologetic about it. On the other hand, JA played it up as part of their appeal. As with the hair metal days, I took the music I liked but pretty much rejected he culture wholesale.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

He’s a clown
The Prez
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by The Prez »

Unsurprisingly, they have cancelled the rest of the tour...apparently due to Perry's "mental health difficulties".
Neil Diamond Dave
Recording Debut Album

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

The Prez wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:28 am Unsurprisingly, they have cancelled the rest of the tour...apparently due to Perry's "mental health difficulties".
Unless Perry is going into rehab for an extended period of time, and cleans out his "enabler", that is probably the last show of JA as we know it.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

They should boot him from the tour and finish it with a sub if possible, TBH.

I've worked with addicts for a long time. Tough love is the best medicine - sitting on the outside watching everything happen without you due to your addiction is as strong of a motivator as there is.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:34 am They should boot him from the tour and finish it with a sub if possible, TBH.

I've worked with addicts for a long time. Tough love is the best medicine - sitting on the outside watching everything happen without you due to your addiction is as strong of a motivator as there is.
Who the hell is going to replace Perry? I mean, you can get a random new front person, but the guy is a one of one, even as fucked up as he is. That would be like Guns N Roses wanting to sub in someone for a few shows. I mean, yeah, Miles could probably do it, but would anyone really want to hear it?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Didnt the bassist sit out every reunion untill this one? Wild, that you refuse for so long and then you finally come back to this mess.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:40 am Who the hell is going to replace Perry? I mean, you can get a random new front person, but the guy is a one of one, even as fucked up as he is. That would be like Guns N Roses wanting to sub in someone for a few shows. I mean, yeah, Miles could probably do it, but would anyone really want to hear it?
You could grab any female singer in Nashville, throw some Stevie Nicks accessories and a dumb LA hat on her and power through the shows.

Going forward? Nah. But for the tour, they could definitely sub him out.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:50 am Didnt the bassist sit out every reunion untill this one? Wild, that you refuse for so long and then you finally come back to this mess.
He was on the co headline tour with Nine Inch Nails but it was Trent Reznor who asked him. Might have even been signing his paycheck too because I hear apparently Perry is taking 65-75%.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Playboyliquor59
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

I think from a legal standpoint replacing your iconic front man mid tour when tickets were already purchased could open them up to lawsuits, people demanding refunds, etc it would be a clusterfuck
Darrien
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Darrien »

The look on Perry's face after Dave taps him is hilarious, he looks like Dave said I fucked your wife before the show or something. He's a fucking lunatic. Band was smart to cancel the tour.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:21 am I think from a legal standpoint replacing your iconic front man mid tour when tickets were already purchased could open them up to lawsuits, people demanding refunds, etc it would be a clusterfuck
Based on recent news, that's the status quo.
ImageImage
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss »

This band had its heyday 30+ years ago...it wouldve been nice if they had never reunited, but bullshit walks, money talks & here we are:

A senior citizen fighting like a teenager because of whatever stupid reasons.....his plastic wife making up dumb excuses on public platforms to save face...if he's an addict again on relapse...well, Just admit it, Ted!

Then again, we have an orange imbecile running for president & hundreds of retards backing him up, so this is America in a nutshell :lol: :roll: :x
Last edited by grishnak boss on Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

ijwthstd wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:12 am
HueyRamone wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:50 am Didnt the bassist sit out every reunion untill this one? Wild, that you refuse for so long and then you finally come back to this mess.
He was on the co headline tour with Nine Inch Nails but it was Trent Reznor who asked him. Might have even been signing his paycheck too because I hear apparently Perry is taking 65-75%.
Perry owns 62.5% of publishing, leaving the other three 12.5% each. Almost broke the band up until the record label intervened, according to the internet. Not sure what they could have said to fix that, unless they promised cash bonuses to the other three to stay together.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Black Stuff
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Black Stuff »

As expected, tour over
The power of Sludge compels you.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:45 am
Perry owns 62.5% of publishing, leaving the other three 12.5% each. Almost broke the band up until the record label intervened, according to the internet. Not sure what they could have said to fix that, unless they promised cash bonuses to the other three to stay together.
Okay I know about the publishing, Perry held out on signing the deal and Eric says that killed the band for him and enrolled in college.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is taking a disproportionate amount of the touring income.

According to someone on Reddit at least Perry's wife is pissed because the other 3 refuse to let her dance onstage.
Neil Diamond Dave
Recording Debut Album

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

ijwthstd wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:56 am
Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:45 am

Okay I know about the publishing, Perry held out on signing the deal and Eric says that killed the band for him and enrolled in college.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is taking a disproportionate amount of the touring income.

According to someone on Reddit at least Perry's wife is pissed because the other 3 refuse to let her dance onstage.
I'll bet in days past when she did dance on stage, that's how Perry got away with a disproportional percent of the touring income: she was another full time member.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Farrell is the oldest of the bunch at 65 years old. The other guys are mid 50's to late 50's.

You'd think the one guy that is now officially a senior citizen would have his shit together more than the other three guys but hey, addiction knows no bounds I guess.

I know there have been incidents in the past but they seem to be isolated. How the guy seems to be falling apart in this late stage of his life is kind of bizarre.

I find it interesting this seems to have coincided with his old girlfriend doing some media interviews claiming she had a major hand in creating a lot of what ended up being Jane's Addiction, their look, some music etc. and how she signed away her rights to Farrell.

How did a useless addict like him manage to convince his bandmates and the woman that helped him create the bands image sign over the lion's share of the money to him?

Kinda weird.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

Lobo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:01 pm Farrell is the oldest of the bunch at 65 years old. The other guys are mid 50's to late 50's.
TIL Perry Farrell is 4 years older than Warren DiMartini.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Lobo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:01 pm How did a useless addict like him manage to convince his bandmates and the woman that helped him create the bands image sign over the lion's share of the money to him?
Kinda weird.
You answered your own question - he was older and wiser than they were. Knew how to play the game.

I get the feeling he came from money - like many of the super-artsy types you meet, he was probably out in LA cosplaying as a vagabond artist.

Family lawyer probably told him what to do and how to do it.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

It’s wild to see band’s and staff want a big reunion with big payoff’s no matter the cost. Surely, everyone knew Perry wasn’t well leading up to this new tour. Either it was way too late to cancel the whole thing weeks before it’s kickoff amd everyone knew it was a matter of time before the collapse.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch