Do you dig Chuck Wright?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Do you dig Chuck Wright?

Post by SchenkerFan »

I do. Dude plays circles around Rudy Sarzo.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Recording Debut Album

Re: Do you dig Chuck Wright?

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

SchenkerFan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:29 am I do. Dude plays circles around Rudy Sarzo.

Does he play circles around Rudy???

He seems pretty average to me. Not bad but not mind blowing either.

Reminds me of Hugh McDonald or Jon Regan... just faceless bass players that get the job done but you wouldn't notice anything special about them.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

He can't lick a bass like Rudy tho.

Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

For some reason, I will always remember one thing he said and I don't know why it stuck in my head.

Sooo, I was on the QR III tour, and I ran into Chuck after one of the shows in the hallway backstage or whatever. I Says to him: "Sounded good tonight, man." and he replied: "Ah, I don't know, I thought it was too SIBILANT."

Sibilant. Fucking bass player complaining about sibilance.

It's almost 40 years later, and I still think of that sometimes...I'll just be all like: "Sibbilant. What. The. Fuck. Who says that?"

Couldn't tell you what shirt I am wearing right now without looking down, but I remember Chuck Wright saying "Sibilant" fucking decades ago. :lol:
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Sleek wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:57 pm For some reason, I will always remember one thing he said and I don't know why it stuck in my head.

Sooo, I was on the QR III tour, and I ran into Chuck after one of the shows in the hallway backstage or whatever. I Says to him: "Sounded good tonight, man." and he replied: "Ah, I don't know, I thought it was too SIBILANT."

It's almost 40 years later, and I still think of that sometimes...I'll just be all like: "Sibbilant. What. The. Fuck. Who says that?"

Couldn't tell you what shirt I am wearing right now without looking down, but I remember Chuck Wright saying "Sibilant" fucking decades ago. :lol:
Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
Indy_Rob
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Indy_Rob »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:34 pm
Sleek wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:57 pm For some reason, I will always remember one thing he said and I don't know why it stuck in my head.

Ha!! First thing I thought of when I read that word. :lol:
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

At 1st I thought it was "syphilis"... :lol:
TREVERLAST
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by TREVERLAST »

SIBILANT... that's a big word like gymnasium.
BadDogWater
Headlining Clubs

Post by BadDogWater »

I do not dig him. He was in my store once getting Business cards for his Quartet. He was cool enough, licked to talk about himself and whatever. I asked him some question and he just jabbered about some other shit. useless................
Indy_Rob
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Indy_Rob »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:17 am At 1st I thought it was "syphilis"... :lol:
I thought it was some made up word. I've never heard it outside the context of that SNL bit.
"Syphilis" would've been even better! :lol:
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is the funniest shit ever

Chuck is really good but I’ve never understood the “He’s better than Rudy” bs. Rudy is cheesy af but he was always a great player. It’s all moot since Bob Daisley and Geezer Butler kick both their arses.

One thing that has always bugged me about Chuck is, he jumped ship on Kevin and Frankie, not to go join Van Halen or the Scorpions mind you. But to go join some New Wave band, and then acts like he played on all of Metal Health when he literally played on ONE song since Rudy was still out with Ozzy and he sang some backups. He comes off funny and desperately pathetic in Frankie’s documentary. Typical LA.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Rudy is good at playing other people's shit. I love him, but he doesn't have a creative bone in his body. If you listen to anything he actually played on, he's just playing 8th notes on the root 99.9% of the time. That's important, but he hasn't come up with a remotely notable bassline in his entire career.

Chuck Wright is a MONSTER player. He played that great bass part on "Metal Health" and every record that he's on, he's all over the neck playing great stuff.

Chuck has hosted Ultimate Jam Night for years. Going out and jamming onstage, coming up with shit off the top of your head in front of a live crowd with new musicians every time you get onstage is the real test of a player. Chuck crushes it. Rudy would never dare set foot in a live jam situation... he'd come out for some cover songs he already knows at best.

But Chuck doesn't look cool like Rudy does, so Rudy had a much better career.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 11:11 am
SchenkerFan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:29 am I do. Dude plays circles around Rudy Sarzo.

Does he play circles around Rudy???

He seems pretty average to me. Not bad but not mind blowing either.

Reminds me of Hugh McDonald or Jon Regan... just faceless bass players that get the job done but you wouldn't notice anything special about them.
CW is good. Above average but I don’t hear or see the “circles” that he plays around the Cuban.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:15 pm Rudy is good at playing other people's shit. I love him, but he doesn't have a creative bone in his body. If you listen to anything he actually played on, he's just playing 8th notes on the root 99.9% of the time. That's important, but he hasn't come up with a remotely notable bassline in his entire career.

Chuck Wright is a MONSTER player. He played that great bass part on "Metal Health" and every record that he's on, he's all over the neck playing great stuff.

Chuck has hosted Ultimate Jam Night for years. Going out and jamming onstage, coming up with shit off the top of your head in front of a live crowd with new musicians every time you get onstage is the real test of a player. Chuck crushes it. Rudy would never dare set foot in a live jam situation... he'd come out for some cover songs he already knows at best.

I saw Billy Sheehan once “jam” with the Punks on old VH. They did Doctor and DOA, he looked like a lost kid taking his 8th grade math test.

Eddie once “jammed” with Simon and Garfunkel in the 90s. He sounded like shit and was obviously out of his element. Did Eddie ever go down to the Baked Potato and jam?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:39 pm
FreddyFender wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:15 pm Rudy is good at playing other people's shit. I love him, but he doesn't have a creative bone in his body. If you listen to anything he actually played on, he's just playing 8th notes on the root 99.9% of the time. That's important, but he hasn't come up with a remotely notable bassline in his entire career.

I saw Billy Sheehan once “jam” with the Punks on old VH. They did Doctor and DOA, he looked like a lost kid taking his 8th grade math test.

Eddie once “jammed” with Simon and Garfunkel in the 90s. He sounded like shit and was obviously out of his element. Did Eddie ever go down to the Baked Potato and jam?
Eddie was one of the greatest to ever play - when he touched the guitar, music poured out.

Eddie jamming a 1-4-5 with the SNL band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SNpQIH7IU
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:00 pm
Eddie was one of the greatest to ever play - when he touched the guitar, music poured out.

Eddie jamming a 1-4-5 with the SNL band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SNpQIH7IU
In the confines of pop metal, arena styled, glam-inspired rock, I agree 100%. Outside of that, I’ve never seen or heard anything where he goes next level. If anything, your video proves my point. Does he follow the chord changes or do any chicken picking, banjo rolls or jazz inspired diminished flavored passing licks? No. It just his bag of tricks. Which was cool in the context of his band but outside of his band it kinda shows how one dimensional he really was. The closest he ever got to really getting out of his comfort zone was III. Which fans tend to hate. He once admitted Luke was better than he was.

It’s like if Yngwie went on SNL at that time and tried to hang.

I can’t imagine Eddie hanging with the likes of Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Tommy Tedesco, Django, Hank Garland, Tommy Emmanuel, Albert Lee etc. not because I think he lacked the talent. He never developed that side of his ability and talent.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:43 pm

I can’t imagine Eddie hanging with the likes of Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Tommy Tedesco, Django, Hank Garland, Tommy Emmanuel, Albert Lee etc. not because I think he lacked the talent. He never developed that side of his ability and talent.
How do you think Wes Montgomery would have done sitting in with Van Halen on Atomic Punk?
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:45 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:43 pm

How do you think Wes Montgomery would have done sitting in with Van Halen on Atomic Punk?
Better than Eddie sitting in with Charlie Parker and John Coltrane or The Wrecking Crew
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

I remember taping that episode when it 1st aired and watching that jam over and over again. One of the best things he ever did. You can stuff Cathedral and 316 in a sack.
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

That SNL video made me want to ask amongst guitar players how is GE Smith considered? Seems comfortable here playing with Eddie.
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

He was a session dude. Well-respected but tough to rank among the usual suspects because of that.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Funny... reading all the arm-chair musicians... talking sh!t about this guy, or that guy... and 99.9% of you talking that smack never went anywhere of note! #facts

$tEvil
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Who the hell is Chuck Wright?
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: I used to worship these clowns.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Earl Skakel wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:09 pm

That SNL video made me want to ask amongst guitar players how is GE Smith considered? Seems comfortable here playing with Eddie.

GE was Hall & Oates lead guitarist from 1975 to 1985 then SNL’s musical director from 1985 to 1995. As mentioned he was a studio guy too. That’s just scratching the surface. GE doesn’t suck.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:36 pm Who the hell is Chuck Wright?
Dude! he’s the guy who played that killer bass line on Metal Health. You know, the one that most people learn right after Stranglehold the first week they pick up a bass?
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Wiseacre wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:31 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:36 pm Who the hell is Chuck Wright?
Dude! he’s the guy who played that killer bass line on Metal Health. You know, the one that most people learn right after Stranglehold the first week they pick up a bass?
:lol: Perfection
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

TC has a GE story to tell.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
CrankerBait
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by CrankerBait »

His bass playing is arguably the highlight of "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)", so I can at least did that.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:17 am At 1st I thought it was "syphilis"... :lol:
:lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Black Stuff
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Black Stuff »

Chuck and Rudy are both excellent players. Rudy is more of a performer. Every player, especially at this level, brings something to the table.
The power of Sludge compels you.