The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by WOLF »

Tommy wrote:
WOLF wrote:/\

I think the Habs should bottom out and build a team through the draft, but I don't think a large segment of the population here would go for it. Having said that, I think more and more people are starting to realize that a 30 team NHL with a salary cap is way tougher to build a stellar franchise in than a 6-16 team league, with 2-3 rounds of playoffs, and the Habs having right of first refusal on players born in Quebec.

Houle/Tremblay started the problem, with terrible trades where seemingly a good young player was always thrown in, and that trend has continued. Gainey brought the team back to respectability, but not greatness.

The team has drafted well, but their developmemt of the young talent they've drafted has been bad, while they're pro scouting has been atrocious.

It's' a giant shit sandwhich that Geoff Molson will fix, if he cares about hockey and not just selling beer.

Scott Gomez Traded to Montreal by NY Rangers with Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko, June 30, 2009.

Awful trade. I mean, ugh.
Every time I watch a Rangers game, and see McDonagh log 20+ minutes like a poised veteran I want to throw up. I'll likely be watching that for the next 12 years or so. The kid's solid.
Tommy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tommy »

WOLF wrote:
Tommy wrote:
WOLF wrote:/\

I think the Habs should bottom out and build a team through the draft, but I don't think a large segment of the population here would go for it. Having said that, I think more and more people are starting to realize that a 30 team NHL with a salary cap is way tougher to build a stellar franchise in than a 6-16 team league, with 2-3 rounds of playoffs, and the Habs having right of first refusal on players born in Quebec.

Houle/Tremblay started the problem, with terrible trades where seemingly a good young player was always thrown in, and that trend has continued. Gainey brought the team back to respectability, but not greatness.

The team has drafted well, but their developmemt of the young talent they've drafted has been bad, while they're pro scouting has been atrocious.

It's' a giant shit sandwhich that Geoff Molson will fix, if he cares about hockey and not just selling beer.

Scott Gomez Traded to Montreal by NY Rangers with Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko, June 30, 2009.

Awful trade. I mean, ugh.
Every time I watch a Rangers game, and see McDonagh log 20+ minutes like a poised veteran I want to throw up. I'll likely be watching that for the next 12 years or so. The kid's solid.

Thanks to McDonough the Rangers barely missed Marc Staal being out half the year.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

feds wrote:Tried and failed, we won the game and he got suspended.....he is the new Matt Cooke, target on his back is getting bigger.

Really? We saw the response from your pansy team when the hit happened. What will be different next time they play?
feds
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by feds »

Our GM is smart, I'm sure he will address the issues......we had really tough teams before, and if the league wants 2 different types of officiating....we can do it again. Had a cup stolen from us in 94 too, not gonna happen a third time.
It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock'n'roll!
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

feds wrote:Our GM is smart, I'm sure he will address the issues......we had really tough teams before, and if the league wants 2 different types of officiating....we can do it again. Had a cup stolen from us in 94 too, not gonna happen a third time.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

we had really tough teams before
Key word, before.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

feds wrote:Our GM is smart, I'm sure he will address the issues......we had really tough teams before, and if the league wants 2 different types of officiating....we can do it again. Had a cup stolen from us in 94 too, not gonna happen a third time.
So, which other one was "stolen"?
The one against the Bruins or the Islanders?
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Facedown wrote:
So, which other one was "stolen"?
The one against the Bruins or the Islanders?

They can't cry here. This was the most dominant we looked in any of our cup finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLi-V2jg1s
feds

Post by feds »

Haha, I meant 2nd time......the Isles steamrolled us in 82! But, 94 was all about making sure Messier and NY won so they could raise the profile of the game and make more money. Messier is a cunt.
Tommy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tommy »

feds wrote:Haha, I meant 2nd time......the Isles steamrolled us in 82! But, 94 was all about making sure Messier and NY won so they could raise the profile of the game and make more money. Messier is a cunt.

He may be a cunt.

But your post alleges favoritism for the 94 Rangers. If any of that were true the NHL wouldn't have waited 54 years to boost the game. Silly thing to say.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Tommy wrote:
feds wrote:Haha, I meant 2nd time......the Isles steamrolled us in 82! But, 94 was all about making sure Messier and NY won so they could raise the profile of the game and make more money. Messier is a cunt.

He may be a cunt.

But your post alleges favoritism for the 94 Rangers. If any of that were true the NHL wouldn't have waited 54 years to boost the game. Silly thing to say.
Yeah, the rags bought the whole Oilers team fair and square.
Tommy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tommy »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Tommy wrote:

He may be a cunt.

Yeah, the rags bought the whole Oilers team fair and square.

Bad management in Edmonton helped the Rangers out a ton.

But 99% of that team was draft and trades.

Graves: Free agent 1991

Leetch: Draft

Messier: Traded to NY Rangers by Edmonton with future considerations (Jeff Beukeboom for David Shaw, November 12, 1991) for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk, October 4, 1991.

Kovalev: Draft

Zubov: Draft

Larmer: Traded to NY Rangers by Hartford with Nick Kypreos, Barry Richter and Hartford's 6th round choice (Yuri Litvinov) in 1994 Entry Draft for Darren Turcotte and James Patrick, November 2, 1993.

Noonan: Traded to NY Rangers by Chicago with Stephane Matteau for Tony Amonte and the rights to Matt Oates, March 21, 1994.

Mattaeu: Traded to NY Rangers by Chicago with Brian Noonan for Tony Amonte and the rights to Matt Oates, March 21, 1994.

Tikkanen: Traded to NY Rangers by Edmonton for Doug Weight, March 17, 1993.

Nemchinov: Draft

Anderson: Traded to NY Rangers by Toronto with Toronto's 4th round choice (Alexander Korobolin) in 1994 Entry Draft and the rights to Scott Malone for Mike Gartner, March 21, 1994.

Beukeboom: Traded to NY Rangers by Edmonton for David Shaw to complete transaction that sent Mark Messier to NY Rangers (October 4, 1991), November 12, 1991.

MacTavish: Traded to NY Rangers by Edmonton for Todd Marchant, March 21, 1994.

Gilbert: Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, July 29, 1993.

Karpovtsev RIP: Traded to NY Rangers by Quebec for Mike Hurlbut, September 7, 1993.

Kocur: Traded to NY Rangers by Vancouver to complete transaction that sent John Vanbiesbrouck to Vancouver (June 20, 1993), June 25, 1993.

Lowe: Traded to NY Rangers by Edmonton for Roman Oksiuta and NY Rangers' 3rd round choice (Alexander Kerch) in 1993 Entry Draft, December 11, 1992.

Healy: Traded to NY Rangers by Tampa Bay for Tampa Bay's 3rd round choice (previously acquired, Tampa Bay selected Allan Egeland) in 1993 Entry Draft, June 25, 1993.

Kypreos: Traded to NY Rangers by Hartford with Steve Larmer, Barry Richter and Hartford's 6th round choice (Yuri Litvinov) in 1994 Entry Draft for Darren Turcotte and James Patrick, November 2, 1993.

Olczyk:Traded to NY Rangers by Winnipeg for Kris King and Tie Domi, December 28, 1992.

Richter: Draft

Wells: Traded to NY Rangers by Buffalo for Randy Moller, March 9, 1992.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

The Rangers definitly got alot of Oilers back in the day, kinda like the Kings now, something like 4-5 ex-Oilers on their team...in other news, here's Taylor Hall after taking a skate to the head, 30 stitches later:

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

jizzyjizim wrote:The Rangers definitly got alot of Oilers back in the day, kinda like the Kings now, something like 4-5 ex-Oilers on their team...in other news, here's Taylor Hall after taking a skate to the head, 30 stitches later:

Who knew he could actually get uglier?
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

NeverSurrender wrote:Image

Shit was weeeeeeak. :lol:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I really believe that goal by Bailey that put them up 2-0 could be a big goal for the future of our team. This was a team we needed to beat. The other 2 games were very close.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Kid-Wicked wrote:boston fans should love this.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01/19 ... verywhere/
:lol: Canucks fans.
There isn't enough time to pick that bullshit apart except that the Marchaund hit on Salo was cheap.
Oh, but wait, has this guy been suspended yet?
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... aneuf.html
Christ, from all the comments, Canucks fans are bigger pussies than their team which is somehow impossible.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

/\

Now that the league needs to go back to the drawing board re realignment, I think they need to find a way to put Vancouver and Boston in the same division!

:D
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

That would be AWESOME!
:lol:
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:Image
feds

Post by feds »

Hmmm, the only time The Bruins were decent in the last 20 odd years, their star players were from Van.......Lucic grew up in my neighborhood(an admitted Canuck fan)and Neely was from a suburb of Van....yeah they must be pussies too... :mrgreen:
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

People can make mistakes and change.
:D
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

feds wrote:Hmmm, the only time The Bruins were decent in the last 20 odd years, their star players were from Van.......Lucic grew up in my neighborhood(an admitted Canuck fan)and Neely was from a suburb of Van....yeah they must be pussies too... :mrgreen:

The Sedins are not from vancouver.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I can't believe how many people made it to the United Center in that shit last night.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The Isles and Leafs just played a home at home and the islanders didn't get one power play in either game. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.