What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bonus question : what was the first CD you ever handled or played?
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: I used to worship these clowns.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Re: What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

Post by aznsquirt »

the first CD I ever bought was Thriller.

I must've been like 4 or 5 years old. I told my parents I wanted Thriller.

They gave me chores to do to earn the money to buy thriller, and then my mom took me down to the record store and gave me the cash and told me to go up and buy Thriller.

On cassette.

I rocked the fuck out of that shit.
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

Post by Mojo »

The first CD I ever bought was Aerosmith's Get a Grip. I bought just the CD, no case, from a kid named Frog in the locker room after PE. I saw this CD with nipples on it and was like what the fuck is that?

The first CD that was ever bought for me was Garth Brook's Chris Gaines album. I actually dug it. I got that with one of those 5 CD changer tower stereos with the two cassette decks at the bottom that every 90's kid got.

I have neither of those CDs, now.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

I bought bunch at Tower Records maybe around 12
First one I played was Warrant debut

Pretty sure had that cassette to cd thing
Ya put cassette in and hooked portable cd player to it
That thing was badass

I remember going to A&W just down the street blasting Sometimes She Cries over and over
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Slayer's Divine Intervention....still have it and I got thé entire band to sign it!
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

What's the first CD you ever bought? Queensrÿche - Empire
When did you buy it? 09/90, just after I got a cd boom box to take to my first term at university.
Do you still have it? Yes, played it earlier this year.
What was the first CD you ever handled or played? See above.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Lovesexy by Prince, still have it. The whole record is programmed as one song, I thought fuck this if all cds are like this. :lol: But it's still my only cd that's like that.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Bought Metallica's black album and GnR Use Your Illiusions 2 in longboxes together at the same store. Still have the Metallica cd signed by the whole band in 1992. Guns I sold for a ridiculous price and now have the 2 disc remaster.

The day after I stopped by an used cd store and got three more discs to play in my new discman: Heart - Bad Animals, Tyketto - Don't Come Easy and Leppard's Pyromania. Still have all of them too. The first CD I bought and got rid of was Poison's live album.

The first CD I ever played was either Abba or Dire Straits when trying out a CD player instore for the first time. At least three years before I started buying CDs.

Extra bonus: the first music file I downloaded was Van Halen's Humans Being that someone recorded off US radio and posted in the VH mailing list. Spring 1996.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

My wife bought me a single-disc CD component for my 1980s, oversized component system for Christmas 1989 with a Columbia House subscription. The first CD in that initial 10 for 1 cent deal was Aerosmith Pump. I have zero physical media today.
mekmad
Taking Music Lessons

Post by mekmad »

Zeppelin 4. Think it was a causality of my college apartment where things sometimes walked away.
Rocker4Real
Recording Debut Album

Post by Rocker4Real »

I'd guess most of our first CDs were bought in the early 90s when CD players came down in price.
Last edited by Rocker4Real on Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Corey's Guitar Solo wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:52 pm What are your answers, Bernie?
Born in the USA and Neil Diamond Jonathan Livingston Seagull was probably the first one I handled and looked at … which even 30+ years later I’ve never actually listened to.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Oh and Grease soundtrack.
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

The first CD I bought was Poison - Swallow This Live. After getting my first CD player for Christmas in 1991. I do still have the CD.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

Kiss Destroyer in November of 1991. I still have it.
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Wild Obsession
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Wild Obsession »

Britny Fox - "Bite Down Hard", was the 1st CD I bought, and still have it. First CD I handled was Aerosmith - "Pump", my friends Dad had a CD stereo which was hi-tech at the time......
Indy_Rob
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Indy_Rob »

I got a Sony Discman for my 18th birthday in 1992 and Van Halen 5150 to go with it. Still have it along with every cd I ever bought.

No clue about the first one I ever handled.
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

The Wall by Pink Floyd and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits, either in late-August or early-September of 1987. Both are at my father's place. I started downloading a library of around 25 000 songs more than twenty years ago, but these days I mostly use Spotify.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Stryper - Against The Law.

About 2 weeks before Xmas 1990, my parents bought a component Sony cd player at Best Buy. Dad got "The Who - Who's Better, Who's Best", and mom got "Sam Cooke's Greatest Hits" and "Hall and Oates - Rock and Soul Vol 1"

We all still have them.

The first cd I ever handled was the Top Gun sdtk, around 1987.
JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

Deep Purple’s Slaves And Masters.

Bought it at Rhino Records on Westwood Boulevard in 1991.

Still have it.
Last edited by JinglesTheChristmasMouse on Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TommyBoy68
Opening for Slaughter

Post by TommyBoy68 »

I do recall my first CD purchases. Had a huge cassette tape collection and took me a while to embrace the 'new' thing. Bought my first CDs before even having a player to listen to them on. First haul was 3 discs, Cypress Hill - Black Sunday, Hellion - The Black Book, and Manowar - Kings of Metal.

Date, who knows it was a long time ago. I do know where it was, Musicland, at the Mall. Must have been early 90's based on the release dates of those, though.

Yes, still have all of them. That Hellion release is one I will never grow tired of. The others have had their share of plays and also spent time near the bottom of the pile.
TomS.
Minneapolis, MN USA
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Hellsinkey wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:20 pm Lovesexy by Prince, still have it. The whole record is programmed as one song, I thought fuck this if all cds are like this. :lol: But it's still my only cd that's like that.
Jesus, I forgot about that.

Fuckin' Prince. :lol:
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

My first CD purchase was W.A.S.P. The Last Command (it was next on the list) and KISS Alive 2 (because it looked cool and deserved to be on the "better" format).

I bought Poison's Flesh & Blood and Warrant's Cherry Pie around that time too - and remember thinking both were better than each band's previous album. So this must've been fall of 1990. Longboxes definitely provided some extra cool factor.

Recall getting Tesla 5 Man Acoustical Jam and L.A. Guns' Cocked and Loaded on CD that year too.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
HoldenSSV
Recording Your Demo

Post by HoldenSSV »

I think it was Hardline's Double Eclipse in 1992. It was on sale and I still have it.

First one I ever handled was my buddy's copy of 90125.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

The first CD I ever bought was Eagles - Hotel California in a long box. It had to be late 80’s sometime. It was the first album I had learned all the words to all the songs, and I wanted to make sure it was the first CD I got when the format came out. And yes, I still do have it. Might even still have the long box too.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Motleys Raw Tracks 2, probably in 1990.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

The first CD I ever bought was:

Rollins Band - The End Of Silence.

I do not still have it. I let a college roommate borrow it and life happens. I have it on itunes now and still dig the album.
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

First Cd I bought was Damn Yankees ST …

Still have it…
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

I got Anthrax Killer B's, Soundgarden Louder Than Love and Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet. Weird I remember that.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

The Who - Live At Leeds

Bought it in 1987 at Sam The Record Man, still have it along with every other CD I purchased afterwards