Question for anyone who uses 'zoom' type recorders

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Question for anyone who uses 'zoom' type recorders

Post by sirthx2 »

Question being, with something like the Tascam X6 or equiv, I'm looking to record a concert in a 2000 seat theater so that I could pair it with video being shot. Also, I'd prefer to just use the recorder and not hook up additional mics which of course would likely be much better, but I need ease/speed & convenience here. Likely placed at the back of the room/sound board?? Any thoughts? Would it be shite?? Oh, and if I'm not hooking up external mics, do I need to spend $300+ or can I get away with a cheaper version and get the same results?
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Wild Obsession
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Question for anyone who uses 'zoom' type recorders

Post by Wild Obsession »

sirthx2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:51 am Question being, with something like the Tascam X6 or equiv, I'm looking to record a concert in a 2000 seat theater so that I could pair it with video being shot. Also, I'd prefer to just use the recorder and not hook up additional mics which of course would likely be much better, but I need ease/speed & convenience here. Likely placed at the back of the room/sound board?? Any thoughts? Would it be shite?? Oh, and if I'm not hooking up external mics, do I need to spend $300+ or can I get away with a cheaper version and get the same results?

Here is nice "how to" video on recording a concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dacZjjkUFx8
sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Post by sirthx2 »

Wild Obsession wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:48 am

Song should've been bigger.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Wild Obsession
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Wild Obsession »

sirthx2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:11 am
Wild Obsession wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:48 am

Song should've been bigger.
I agree, it's my favorite Aerosmith song.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

It all depends on the room and yes, external mics improve your chances and you also need to practice with trial and error instead of just going in cold.

www.taperssection.com

is a good resource but a bit cliquish and as can be predicted too many Deadheads. (I love the Dead but hate Deadheads)
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Post by sirthx2 »

ijwthstd wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:04 am It all depends on the room and yes, external mics improve your chances and you also need to practice with trial and error instead of just going in cold.

www.taperssection.com

is a good resource but a bit cliquish and as can be predicted too many Deadheads. (I love the Dead but hate Deadheads)
Cool resource, thanks! :-) I'll be able to do a little trial and error with sound-check(s) so all good there. Getting the proper gain settings and all that. Thanks for the link. I have about a month to research and prep. If it fails, not the end of the world.